PDA

View Full Version : I want to invest in commodities

kefnb
12-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Hi Tom, I hope this is the place for me to post this question. I want to invest in commodities and then possibly gold or silve. How can I do this with my tsp funds? Or which fund has the highest portion commodities?

How do I find out the details of what funds contain? the description I have found of the funds is pretty vague. Can we invest our tsp money outside of these funds?

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction and your thoughts.

kefnb

Birchtree
12-27-2010, 05:57 PM
The C fund is plum full of companies involved in commodities.

Frixxxx
12-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Hi Tom, I hope this is the place for me to post this question. I want to invest in commodities and then possibly gold or silve. How can I do this with my tsp funds?
Or which fund has the highest portion commodities?
You Can't! although other companies in the indexes have precious metal/commodities interests.

How do I find out the details of what funds contain? the description I have found of the funds is pretty vague. Can we invest our tsp money outside of these funds?
The funds are what they are. Indexes on government securities (G), Bonds (AGG) (F), S&P 500 (C), Dow Jones U.S. Completion TSM Index (S), and MSCI EAFE (I). The L funds do risk strategies across these funds.

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction and your thoughts.

kefnb
You will need to go to a commodities broker/site to invest in gold/silver. Some people on this site invest in the ETFs for precious metals, but you can talk about that more over at etftalk.com (sister site)

Hope this helps.:cool:

tsptalk
12-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Welcome kefnb! I think Frixxxx has it covered.

Here's the C-fund components: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cp?s=%5EGSPC+Components