PDA

View Full Version : Allocations

tate15
04-07-2010, 09:59 PM
hello,

i'm retired af in search of any suggestions, advice, etc....for fund
allocations. i read as much as i can but not well versed in this financial stuff, gotta get educated.

current:?.....mil tsp

g-15
c-55
s-20
i-10

thanks in advance :)

tsptalk
04-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Welcome tate15! That allocation looks pretty aggressive for someone who is retired, but I'm guessing your TSP is not your main source of retirement income, so that makes a difference.

Please tell us more. Do you get a pension, are you working somewhere now, what are your plans for your TSP account (income, extra cash, etc.) etc.

Thanks for joining us.

nnuut
04-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Welcome tate15, enjoy your retirement, be careful with the Market no telling where it will go next!
Best of luck:D
Norman

Frixxxx
04-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Welcome fellow Airman!

Congrats on your retirement and congrats on making sure you have A retirement.

When you set goals, you chart a path......What are your goals and what are your dreams?!

Until then, Happy Retirement!:cool:

tate15
04-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Welcome tate15! That allocation looks pretty aggressive for someone who is retired, but I'm guessing your TSP is not your main source of retirement income, so that makes a difference.

Please tell us more. Do you get a pension, are you working somewhere now, what are your plans for your TSP account (income, extra cash, etc.) etc.

Thanks for joining us.

Well, sort of in transition. Have been working part-time only since Aug 08.
11 yrs active duty, 17 guard, reserve ,ima, so i dont get that retired pay until i turn 60, (hoping that will chg to 55!, big diff!) I'll be 48 on 24 Apr 10. I've been dipping in to an IRA, which I can't continue to do, just may be relocating, need to get a full-time job, soon! :embarrest:

JTH
04-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Well, sort of in transition. Have been working part-time only since Aug 08.
11 yrs active duty, 17 guard, reserve ,ima, so i dont get that retired pay until i turn 60, (hoping that will chg to 55!, big diff!) I'll be 48 on 24 Apr 10. I've been dipping in to an IRA, which I can't continue to do, just may be relocating, need to get a full-time job, soon! :embarrest:

Your still young enough to have an aggressive allocation more heavily weighted in stocks. I'll give you the same advice I should give myself, it's one of those "do as I say not as I do" things. Best advice I have is to learn the ropes around here, and figure out what type of investor you are. But don't get too smart, sometimes it's a bad thing and trading can hurt you more if you trade too much. Quit messing with your IRA, that's going to be a better account for you in the future. If you must have cash, take it from TSP, so you have to pay it back.

PessOptimist
04-14-2010, 09:11 PM
tate15, what is your AFS?

tate15
05-04-2010, 05:06 PM
tate15, what is your AFS?

Supply Chain/Logistics......

XL-entLady
05-04-2010, 05:10 PM
You've come to the right place to learn. Welcome!

Steadygain
05-04-2010, 05:27 PM
You've come to the right place to learn. Welcome!

Lady -- it's kind of a wild spontaneous thought :nuts:

but you should go to one to the Political Threads just to stir the nest up :laugh:;) cause they wouldn't expect it from you.

Then log off and just enjoy the evening :)

Well good night all !!

domingo3
05-05-2010, 04:22 AM
Tate15,
This may be a little difficult to swallow, but this year could be an incredible opportunity to roll over your TSP account and convert it to a Roth IRA. Your situation appears to be that you have a balance in TSP and you have very little income. When you convert to Roth, you pay income tax on the balance at your current tax rate. You must be in the 15% bracket if not lower. That way, when you are older, you can withdraw the money tax free. Compare this to leaving it in TSP and withdrawing the money when you're older and you have that pension income and some other income, which may bump you up into the 25% tax bracket.
The conversion is best if you can pay for the taxes out of pocket. If you convert this year, and secure a full time job later in the year or next year, you could save up some money to pay for the conversion come tax time 2011.

As for your original question about allocations, your aggressive mix is probably good if you plan to leave it in a long time and draw out the money later in retirement. If you're uncomfortable with the up and down risks, you may want to switch it into a "lifecycle" fund until you have a chance to do more research and decide what you want to do.