PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer ??

Spaf
06-24-2009, 06:49 AM
..[Ask Tom.]..
I know, Tom's a computer wiz......But, anyone else can add 2 cents.....:nuts:
My computer did an update to Internet Explorer 8!
I see a few differences in the bells and whistles (sites, galleries, etc). But, my QUESTION is what is the big difference?.....

Frixxxx
06-24-2009, 09:33 AM
..[Ask Tom.]..
I know, Tom's a computer wiz......But, anyone else can add 2 cents.....:nuts:
My computer did an update to Internet Explorer 8!
I see a few differences in the bells and whistles (sites, galleries, etc). But, my QUESTION is what is the big difference?.....
The big difference for most people will be going from 6 to 8....that means tabs......other than that, it means the more bells, whistles and Active X capabilties than you can...SHAKE A STICK AT!!!!

I'm still trying to figure out why you would shake a stick at something???.:suspicious:

Scout333
06-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why you would shake a stick at something???.:suspicious:

That usually involves a snake of some kind!:D My dad and I were hunting when I was a youngster and he saw a brown splotchy critter and he leaned over and grabbed a snake to kill a stick with. That was exciting!!:D

tsptalk
06-24-2009, 01:11 PM
What's so great about Internet Explorer 8? (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/get-the-facts/default.aspx)

Guest2
06-24-2009, 04:47 PM
For what its worth, I actually went out of my way to uninstall IE8 because
it seriously slowed down my browsing experience. (unacceptable). In IE7
I've turned off TABS because I'm an old fart and don't like'm. It gets kinda
old when software companies, TV executives and the list goes on, start
fixing sh_t that's not broke. At the end of the day, you get someone elses
grandios idea that breaks down more often, entertains you less, slows down
productivity and costs more money. Pooh Change ! Stop killing my favorite
TV Shows damn it ! :nuts:

On the other hand, I've had every Operating System since Window 2.x
Ooops, there I go again. I gotta stop dating myself. Did I mention that
I still have my Tandy1000 and Commadore VIC20 in the closet. :nuts:

Frixxxx
06-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Dude, cut my teeth on that Tandy.......you need to drop it on e-bay for those "retro" lovers.......Can you believe that there is a market for computer antiquities?:blink:

Handballer
06-24-2009, 09:32 PM
For what its worth, I actually went out of my way to uninstall IE8 because
it seriously slowed down my browsing experience. (unacceptable). In IE7
I've turned off TABS because I'm an old fart and don't like'm. It gets kinda
old when software companies, TV executives and the list goes on, start
fixing sh_t that's not broke. At the end of the day, you get someone elses
grandios idea that breaks down more often, entertains you less, slows down
productivity and costs more money. Pooh Change ! Stop killing my favorite
TV Shows damn it ! :nuts:

I use to have Commadore 64, and a Commadore 128, and a Amiga (Lisa?).

tsptalk
07-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Any more comments on IE 8? Twitter actually posted a recommendation "tweat" to members to upgade...

"There's a better way to browse the web!
Twitter recommends that you upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx)."

There must be some sort of tracking device in it. :)

JTH
07-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I installed it on a new lap top I bought last week. Nothing impressive, but I didn't spend much time with it. I like the new Firefox 3.5 it seems to be an improvement over the previous version.

tsptalk
07-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks. Did you notice it slowing things down as SB experienced?

Frixxxx
07-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Um, call me jaded but when Microsoft TELLS everyone of a security flaw in Internet Explorer 6 & 7....hmm....Scare everyone out of the "older version" of their software at the same time as they are releasing their NEW software......kind of makes it a "push" rather than a release of IE8.

Use Firefox.....So much more comfort and security.:cool:

But then again, I've only been a computer guy for over 20 years....what do I know:suspicious:?

alevin
07-09-2009, 12:20 PM
I wondered why my browsing seemed to be so sluggish lately, wondered if I'd picked up a bug of some kind even tho security software says no. But I also had to renew/upgrade sec software last couple weeks also, wondered if that had something to do with it also. The menu header on screen was seriously malfunctioning last night, kept blacking out everything except a few tiny google icons I don't use. Finally got that working again late last night by trial and error, not sure how or why it went flakey in first place.

Sec software upgrade says there is a vulnerability in Firefox, doesn't suggest how to fix it tho. I need to investigate further tonight.

Squale, how do I uninstall IE8 and get IE7 back? I was looking at doing that last night but couldn't figure out how to git 'er done. :(:confused:

Frixxxx
07-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Squale, how do I uninstall IE8 and get IE7 back? I was looking at doing that last night but couldn't figure out how to git 'er done. :(:confused:
If you don't already have it - download IE 7 install from Microsoft.

Go to Add/Remove programs-remove IE 8

Run IE 7 Install

You Got'er Done!:cool:

alevin
07-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Arghh. I knew that, had a brain malfunction due to frustration and aggravation last night-still malfunctioning til now. I had gone to Start/Programs and couldn't see IE in the programs list. Forgot I had to go to control panel/add-remove. Thanks Frixx for rebooting my logic path! :p

JTH
07-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks. Did you notice it slowing things down as SB experienced?

Actually I don't notice much (if any) difference is speed when compared to Firefox. But I should point out it was a new computer with a new OS, so it hasn't been bogged down yet.

Frixxxx
07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Arghh. I knew that, had a brain malfunction due to frustration and aggravation last night-still malfunctioning til now. I had gone to Start/Programs and couldn't see IE in the programs list. Forgot I had to go to control panel/add-remove. Thanks Frixx for rebooting my logic path! :p
:cool:You're welcome, I think.......but elaborate on this "logic" thing you speak of!:laugh:

tsptalk
07-09-2009, 01:26 PM
If you don't already have it - download IE 7 install from Microsoft.

Go to Add/Remove programs-remove IE 8

Run IE 7 Install
Will that remove your favorites? Make sure you save them somewhere.

There are a couple of reasons that I don't use Firefox - neither very good reasons.

- My favorites, which I have hundreds - with subfolders, etc, are rearanged in alpha order.

- TSP Talk looks different in FF. I mainly use MS Frontpage when changing HTML files and what I see on Frontpage is what I see on IE. With Firefox, things looks slightly different (border colors, for example) - and that bugs me. :)

alevin
07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm the last person to pretend I know anything about anything today, but I do believe you can do export favorites, save as a file on harddrive and then re-import into new version of IE. I've had to do that a couple times with hardware changeovers at work, don't recall the exact steps tho.

I have same issues as Tom w/firefox for favorite bookmarks and appearance, so I still use IE most of time, but also like Firefox for ability to play internet radio while doing IE browsing, and pick genre I want it to play. My main use for firefox thus far.

Steadygain
07-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm the last person to pretend I know anything about anything today.

Well I am offended by that 'Opening comment'

I'll have you know that you're one of the smartest and dearest friends I have.

I'd say there would rarely be anything I could think of 'that you wouldn't have a good grasp of'

Heart of Gold - Minimal to NO character flaws - and so on and so forth

Wow Sorry Tom - just realized this is 'Ask Tom' thread

alevin
07-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Minimal to NO character flaws - and so on and so forth

Wow Sorry Tom - just realized this is 'Ask Tom' thread

Oooeee, Steady, have you got that wrong or what? Ever heard of a Fearless Moral Inventory? I have, and the list was looong! :o OTH, albeit was a struggle, I did manage to put some character traits on the plus side of the ledger; they weren't all on the minus side. Notice the big words? Had to use some for Uptrend's sake :cheesy: Back to regularly scheduled Ask Tom program now.

Frixxxx
07-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Will that remove your favorites? Make sure you save them somewhere.
It shouldn't, but just like anything, better to have a backup......Use the Export function to create a folder for the new IE 7 to look at and import automatically.

There are a couple of reasons that I don't use Firefox - neither very good reasons.

- My favorites, which I have hundreds - with subfolders, etc, are rearanged in alpha order.

- TSP Talk looks different in FF. I mainly use MS Frontpage when changing HTML files and what I see on Frontpage is what I see on IE. With Firefox, things looks slightly different (border colors, for example) - and that bugs me. :)
I love TSPtalk on FF - It's dead sexy!!!!!!:laugh:

peterson82
07-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Only problem is Microsoft will focus mainly on Security updates for IE8. So, if security is of concern I would stick to it. If you can't run IE8, then go with Firefox (I would, anyway). Microsoft stole most of the new ideas from Mozilla.

I am sure Mozilla Firefox uses less cpu/memory as IE7/8, generally. They have also done a great job closing most/all of the memory leaks that were annoying in the earlier versions.

Beach day today! Seaside Heights, NJ if anyone wants to join....

EDIT: I have tried Google's Chrome. Seems alright, except there are sites that will not run on anything other than Microsoft/Mozilla.. But with Google's push into this market, I am sure they will catch up soon (considering they are basing the Chrome software on a new OS for low end machines).

tsptalk
07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I love TSPtalk on FF - It's dead sexy!!!!!!:laugh:
Sounds like a new country song. :D

If you can't run IE8, then go with Firefox (I would, anyway).
Thanks Peterson82!

Bullitt
07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
One thing I can say about Microsoft IE is that they offer a pretty good computer check up for free. I'll rock out a full scan every now and then in addition to the other tools I use.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm

Good site to bookmark.

Frixxxx
07-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Sounds like a new country song. :D

I was going for the F@t B@stard in Austin Powers, "I'm Rich and I'm Dead Sexy!" voice:laugh:

tsptalk
10-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Because of some issues with Alexa and Internet Explorer 7, I have been using Firefox quite a bit more lately, but does anyone have any updated status on IE8? Is it getting any better? thanks!

nnuut
10-05-2009, 10:46 AM
My Vista 64 works well with 8.0.6001.18813 256 bit, no problems.:D