PDA

View Full Version : Still buying, still holding, nyeah-nyeah

bkrownd
10-22-2008, 06:47 PM
These are good times for accumulators! Prices have returned to reality, making us wish we had more G in our diet over the last two years. ;) My share totals are increasing faster now, wooo-hooo! :D

The only change I made this year is that I stopped buying G last month, previously 20% of my new contributions. Contributions are now split between C,S,I, and I'm waiting to dump my G into C when the time looks right.

The real eye-opener has been the freefall of my taxable DODFX far below my initial investment (didn't get in early), making me wonder what fraction of my emergency cash I can afford to drop in there, and when. Fire sale! :D

My grandmother is upset about her Kodak and WalMart stock, and got cranky as I relished this month's price plunge. :)

I should check if those silly gold coins I bought back in the late 80's are worth selling now. hmmm....

Birchtree
10-23-2008, 12:03 PM
I own 15 of those silly gold coins that I bought back in the early '80 but honestly they are just to pretty to sell.

bkrownd
10-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Doh! Hope you didn't buy them at the gold peak. I was into coin collecting during that peak, and the inflated gold/silver prices cut into my tiny elementary school allowance dearly! A year later the silver coins I bought were down to only 1/2 the price I paid for them. I sold many of them in '83 to finance my new Dungeons and Dragons hobby, which was a much less expensive hobby. ;) The only gold coins I have are those tiny dime-sized bullion things the Mint started making in the late 1980's.

Hmm, if I had put that money into mutual funds back in 1980.... ;)

bkrownd
10-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Very happy to see that the 401k contrib limit finally climbs to 16500 next year, just in time for this fire sale! ;)