PDA

View Full Version : "Staying Alive" - Helps with CPR (?!)

Silverbird
10-17-2008, 09:15 AM
CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- "Stayin' Alive" might be more true to its name than the Bee Gees ever could have guessed: At 103 beats per minute, the old disco song has almost the perfect rhythm to help jump-start a stopped heart.

In a small but intriguing study from the University of Illinois medical school, doctors and students maintained close to the ideal number of chest compressions doing CPR while listening to the catchy, sung-in-falsetto tune from the 1977 movie "Saturday Night Fever."

The American Heart Association recommends 100 chest compressions per minute, far more than most people realize, study author Dr. David Matlock of the school's Peoria, Illinois, campus said Thursday.

And while CPR can triple cardiac arrest survival rates when properly performed, many people hesitate to do it because they're not sure about keeping the proper rhythm, Matlock said.

He found that "Stayin' Alive," which has a way of getting stuck in your head anyway, can help with that.....
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/10/16/disco.song.health.ap/index.html
:nuts:

CountryBoy
10-17-2008, 10:01 AM
CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- "Stayin' Alive" might be more true to its name than the Bee Gees ever could have guessed: At 103 beats per minute, the old disco song has almost the perfect rhythm to help jump-start a stopped heart.

In a small but intriguing study from the University of Illinois medical school, doctors and students maintained close to the ideal number of chest compressions doing CPR while listening to the catchy, sung-in-falsetto tune from the 1977 movie "Saturday Night Fever."

The American Heart Association recommends 100 chest compressions per minute, far more than most people realize, study author Dr. David Matlock of the school's Peoria, Illinois, campus said Thursday.

And while CPR can triple cardiac arrest survival rates when properly performed, many people hesitate to do it because they're not sure about keeping the proper rhythm, Matlock said.

He found that "Stayin' Alive," which has a way of getting stuck in your head anyway, can help with that.....
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/10/16/disco.song.health.ap/index.html
:nuts:

Disco is still alive. :D Now I've got that tune going thru my head now and for the rest of the day.

CB

XL-entLady
10-17-2008, 10:21 AM
What a great article, Silverbird! BeeGees are my favorite group ever! And if I remember correctly, they are the only musical group who have had a chart topper somewhere in the world for each of the last for decades. It doesn't matter what kind of mood you're in, they wrote a song that fits it. And I remember Sir Paul McCartney saying that their song "Words" was his favorite love song ever written. Have any of you ever listened to their last CD "This Is Where I Came In" that was released in 2001? Songs like "Sacred Trust," "Man in the Middle," "Loose Talk Costs Lives" are outstanding! :nuts:

Oh-h-h-h, back to work, Sweetheart, this side track isn't helping you to meet your deadlines ....... :embarrest:

Lady

Buster
10-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Good one SB...very interesting and nice to know..

cept, the only Brothers Gibb song that I relate to is, :D:D

aSkxiAbds-s

XL-entLady
10-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Good one SB...very interesting and nice to know..

Silverbird, not to hijack the intent of your thread ... knowing that "Stayin' Alive" has a cardio beat is a life saving tip to anyone who old enough to be listening to radio in the '70's! But Buster started something, and I needed a stretch break! :laugh:

Lady

lFN8ozOdCCs&feature=related