PDA

View Full Version : Is a 710 sq ft apartment big enough for a single male?

Skooby
10-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Help me design the apartment lol. I've always lived with other folks in houses, this is my first time being in an apartment alone.

Dining room: 8' x 8'
Bedroom: 12' x 10'
Living room: 12' x 18'

Full size or queen size bed? I'm 5'9 - 5'10.

Would you get a sofa & love seat or sofa and recliner for the living room? Where would you put your computer...bedroom or living room? I guess I can get a TV stand that can hold both my flatscreen hd and my playstation 3. I'll have a directv box as well.

It didn't come with a microwave so I was thinking about getting both a microwave and a toaster oven and not use the regular oven so save an electricity(it's an all electric apartment, no gas). Good idea?

Your thoughts?

Mike
10-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Unless you have a lot of stuff, that apartment should be a-ok for space.

Thoughts on the rest of it:

-microwave: essential! Using the oven during the summer is not a good idea since it throws out a ton of heat.
-bed: go queen size. If you're like me and (ahem) occasionally have guests over :p, the extra space is a plus.
-furniture: it's personal preference. Loveseats can be almost as wide as sofas, so keep the layout of the living room in mind before getting one. Another option is to get a reclining loveseat (which is what I have as part of a sectional - love it!).
-computer placement: depends on what you use to connect to the internet as well as how many peripherals you have. If you've got a printer/scanner/other stuff hooked up to it all the time, it should probably go in the bedroom. You simply don't want that kind of clutter eating up space in the living room which is where most guests will be.

XL-entLady
10-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Help me design the apartment lol. I've always lived with other folks in houses, this is my first time being in an apartment alone.

Dining room: 8' x 8'
Bedroom: 12' x 10'
Living room: 12' x 18'

Full size or queen size bed? I'm 5'9 - 5'10.

Would you get a sofa & love seat or sofa and recliner for the living room? Where would you put your computer...bedroom or living room? I guess I can get a TV stand that can hold both my flatscreen hd and my playstation 3. I'll have a directv box as well.

It didn't come with a microwave so I was thinking about getting both a microwave and a toaster oven and not use the regular oven so save an electricity(it's an all electric apartment, no gas). Good idea?

Your thoughts?

So how much company do you expect to have? Sofa/love seat is better for entertaining but sofa/recliner is better if you're a "get comfortable and stretch out after work" kind of guy. Regarding full or queen size bed, and the question about where to put the computer, ask yourself the same question and you'll have your answer there too.

The microwave is a must (get a good one - the cheapo ones aren't even good for popcorn IMHO) and the toaster oven instead of big oven will work if you're not going to do any baking or other "real cooking." But will the microwave and toaster oven both take up all your kitchen counter space? Give yourself a little elbow room to work in the kitchen or it will get frustrating. Even if it's just room to set the bowl, milk and cereal box down in the same area when you're getting ready for breakfast.

Good luck and Happy Housewarming!

Lady