PDA

View Full Version : Getting in at the basement?

Mike vB
09-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Hello All,

I just came across this forum and think I'll be doing a lot of reading here! I'm an ex-full time military guy now in the GS/military (ART) role - so I'm just now starting my TSP.

I'm thinking I'm getting in at a good time with the economy and all, but I'm still not sure on what makes each of the funds perform well - i.e. should I be watching T-bond rates or the DJ ?

Anyway, if there are some "must reads" out there, either here in this forum or possibly in a book, I'd appreciate any beginners direction.

Thanks!

Mike vB

Show-me
09-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the mb! Great to have you here and I am glad you are getting that TSP going. Here is a link to a great read from one of our moderators for folks just starting out.

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?t=3629

Here is a good source for links.

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?t=3550

Show-me
09-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Dollar cost averaging into this market would be great for a guy just starting. Good luck!

nnuut
09-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Welcome to the MB Mikevb! Best of luck.
Norman:D

ATCJeff
09-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Hello

Mike vB
09-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks all for the welcome!

I'm only planning on being "in" for about 10 years, but my objective is maximum risk - i.e. my TSP contributions are 100% mad money.

I'm thinking the 2040 fund would be ideal for this... would this be a correct assumption?

poolman
09-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks all for the welcome!

I'm only planning on being "in" for about 10 years, but my objective is maximum risk - i.e. my TSP contributions are 100% mad money.

I'm thinking the 2040 fund would be ideal for this... would this be a correct assumption?

No Sense to be High Risk right now, Unless for a trade and there has not been very many chances in the I - Fund.

Be Careful right now. We are about to break one way or the other short term. You are coming to this MB at a very critical time. Read everything you can and then make a decision.

Also make your decision in a sort of broad term for a 2 time trade for the month.