PDA

View Full Version : New member introduction

peterson82
08-11-2008, 07:00 AM
Hello, everyone! I just recently started working for the government, and just had my first 5% put into my tsp account.

I am living in DC, although the city is new to me. I am originally from Jersey, which is only about 5 tolls, and 5 traffic jams away. (Sometimes it feels like you pay to get stuck in traffic).

I am in forecasting... which, actually, has nothing to do with the weather.

From what I am 'hearing' in the forums it is a good time to start out. What would be your Short/Long term plans if you just started putting money into your account?

Guest2
08-11-2008, 07:13 AM
Welcome to the Board new member from Jersey who lives in DC ! :)
I too am from Jersey. Camden County actually. You just started
working for the Gov't and found this place quickly ! GOOD FOR YOU !
I wish I had was that smart 18 years ago ! Listen, there's a lot to
read on this Message Board, a lot to learn and a lot of good people
to help you along the way. Good Luck and be careful in DC. After all,
I hear there's ,,,,,,shhhhhhhh,,,,,, Politicians and lawyers in that area! :nuts:

nnuut
08-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Welcome peterson82.
Best of luck
Norman:D

tsptalk
08-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Welcome peterson82!

I just did the NY to DC toll booth show myself. Unreal.

EW_ret
08-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Welcome to our forums. You can join our Automated Tracker once you have 10 posts. Read the Automated Tracker Rules in my signature. Click Members Ranking (http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_user_balance_all.php) to see the current return rankings of our members.

Gumby
08-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Welcome and good luck with your retirement savings.

Show-me
08-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Any time is a good time, welcome and good luck!:D

peterson82
08-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Thanks all. I will probably take time to soak in as much information as possible. I don't have much knowledge of finance, etc. But, hopefully, I'll be able to contribute eventually.

I think the first thing I'll look into is using DCA with my TSP. I am not totally convinced I want to use that strategy... perhaps I'll mix strategies until I get a better feel for returns.

Guest2
08-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks all. I will probably take time to soak in as much information as possible. I don't have much knowledge of finance, etc. But, hopefully, I'll be able to contribute eventually.

I think the first thing I'll look into is using DCA with my TSP. I am not totally convinced I want to use that strategy... perhaps I'll mix strategies until I get a better feel for returns.

What ever strategy you decide on, it MUST be a strategy that accepts
good days and bad days and the one YOU feel most comfortable with. ;)
You have a lot of time to absorb major down swings in the market. The
L-Funds may be something you'd like to become more familar with, If you
haven't done so already. ;)

nasa1974
08-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Welcome aboard. There are a lot of very smart people on the MB. Many you can eventually call a friend.

FogSailing
08-27-2008, 10:58 AM
This is a great MB...Glad to have you with us..

FS

ATCJeff
08-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Welcome

Frixxxx
08-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Good Luck in DC and this board.

I've been gov't 6 years as a civilian with TSP + <9 Active AF (no TSP):suspicious:, and now in the AF Reserve, which means I get to have 2 TSP accounts....yippee!.

I'm glad I'm on this site...It helps me a lot! I'm sure it will help you too!

But add something if you are in the know!!!!!:cool:

Frixxxx