PDA

View Full Version : 2007-08 College Football

Bullitt
12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Instead of spotting posts randomly in others account talks I thought we could kick our thoughts around regarding the BCS, Heisman or just College Football in general on this thread.

Minnow
12-03-2007, 10:28 AM
BCS Title: Ohio State vs. LSU
BCS Should be: Oklahoma vs. LSU

reasoning: Who did Ohio State play or defeat this year? They don't even have a conference championship game (why won't Notre Dame give up the ghost and join (TV$) Please!! And I hate putting LSU up there because they've been #1 twice and choked it up both times. But they won the toughest conference in the country year in and year out (2nd toughest this year) and Oklahoma won the toughest conference this year. Virginia Tech has an argument as well because the BCS computer has them #1 but the ACC was a little weak this year (GT fan here).

Heisman: McFadden
Should be: Tebow

reasoning: Heisman voters hate Freshmen and Sophomores. Tebow was the best player but the voters will find some reason to vote for McFadden or Daniels instead of the deserving soph.

biggest snub? Missouri not getting a BCS bowl game and Kansas receiving one.... Didn't Mizzou just recently beat KU? logic out the window

see you all in Boise on the blue field at the Humanitarian bowl (yeah, right)

FundSurfer
12-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Oklahoma won the toughest conference this year.
Not so fast. SEC still number one in my book. 9 bowl bids (10 were eligible), 6 ranked in the top 25 by AP.

Big 12 has 8 bowl bids (8 were eligible), and 4 ranked in the top 25 by the AP.

Big 12 had a good year. It will be interesting to watch Colorado vs Alabama and Missouri vs. Arkansas. However, the SEC was definitely stronger this year.

It will also be interesting to see if LSU handles Ohio State the same way Florida did last year. I think LSU will beat Ohio State. I'm not sure LSU would beat Oklahoma. Oklahoma definitely is playing well right now.

With ESPN hyping Tebow as much as they have, I think it will be a very close vote. I think he may be the first sophomore to get the trophy.

Bullitt
12-03-2007, 01:03 PM
I hear yer barking. I'm a fan of Ohio State and I like to see them win but I'm not afraid to call them out. Taking a look at Ohio State's schedule I see Youngstown State, Ohio University, Troy University in 2008. In 2009 at least they open against USC. Those are the type of non conference teams they should be playing against.

I think that the SEC is the best conference in college football with the Pac 10 and Big 12 very close. This football season has been like a day in the life of the DJIA. I remember thinking Brian Brohm would win the Heisman and hoping that the Oregon Ducks would get a top bowl bid.

I still think Tebow has the best shot at Heisman followed by Colt Brennan Hawaii (NCAA record TD passes career) and Matt Ryan, BC.

GGal
12-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Georgia woulda whipped anybody in the top ten at the BCS.....it's obvious.

GGAL

Scout333
12-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Woof Woof GG! I'll have to agree. Look what they did to AU.:D

FundSurfer
12-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Georgia woulda whipped anybody in the top ten at the BCS.....it's obvious.

I was pulling for them to make it to the championship game but 2 losses in their division just killed them. The loss to SC never should have happened.

They better take care of business against Hawaii. We don't want the Dogs to let Hawaii pull a Boise State this year.

Wolverine
12-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Here is the Bowl Schedule

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/schedule

Bullitt
12-03-2007, 08:26 PM
While the Buckeyes were playing Youngstown State, a team like Tennessee was on the road at Cal. While Ohio State was playing that other perennial power, Akron, LSU was playing Virginia Tech. LSU crushed the Hokies — a team that finished third in the rankings — by a score of 48-7. Ohio State doesn't have a victory like that on its résumé. There's nothing even close.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/cfb/story/7520962 12/3/07

Minnow
12-03-2007, 08:35 PM
--- at least the OSU didn't get beat by Youngstown or Akron.... hehehe like Michigan getting beat by Appalachian State... priceless!!!

If there were ever a year for the playoff system, this is the year... but haven't we said that for like four of the past five years?

but UGA would probably win the playoff since they're hotter than anyone right now and we can't have the dawgs having another nat'l championship before the Jackets!!

Just keep the vol fans off the interstates whatever you do --- they don't know how to operate motor vehicles!!!

DAWG51
12-04-2007, 10:06 AM
I played LB at MIssissippi State in the early 80's (Damn I'm getting old!). Glad to see the Bulldogs make it to a bowl game this year.

If we (TSPTALK Particpates) can win the battle for free IFT's maybe we should start a petition for a college football playoff system! :cheesy:

A healthy LSU team will be hard to beat (Ask Virginia Tech).

Stoplight
12-04-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm looking for LSU to beat up the Buckeyes (like my Gators did last year) so we can keep the National Champs in the SEC where it belongs :D

RE: Tebow....I think the kid is great, but I think next year's team will be even better, and he'll have an even better year, too so I wouldn't mind it if he doesn't win this year.

Besides, with back-to-back-to-back National Champs, we don't want to be too greedy !

Go Gators !

Stoplight...

Bullitt
12-04-2007, 11:11 AM
I forgot about that McFadden from Arkansas as a Heisman candidate. He reminds me of Kordell Stewart when he earned the nickname 'slash'. I'll just never forget that Arkansas coach getting too caught up in the moment when they beat LSU. The coach kept yelling how McFadden's the best player in the NCAA hands down and deserves the Heisman. I don't think I'm the only one that had a bad taste in their mouth after that excessive praise.

GGal
12-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Minnow

So you are from Panama City Florida? (Redneck Riviera)

GGAL

Minnow
12-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally from the sticks near a beautiful small town in North Georgia... between Cartersville and Rome.

Presently and hope to stay for a long time in Pensacola, Florida (a little west of the true redneck riviera but close enough for gov't work ... I have to go there for work from time to time)

DAWG51
12-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally from the sticks near a beautiful small town in North Georgia... between Cartersville and Rome.

Presently and hope to stay for a long time in Pensacola, Florida (a little west of the true redneck riviera but close enough for gov't work ... I have to go there for work from time to time)

Hey - I live in Pensacola too!

Minnow
12-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Hey - I live in Pensacola too!

Is that a Bayou or Bay (or neither) in your avatar?

DAWG51
12-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Is that a Bayou or Bay (or neither) in your avatar?

Thats Bayou Texar - I work at the EPA Marine Research Lab on Pensacola Beach.

Minnow
12-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Thats Bayou Texar - I work at the EPA Marine Research Lab on Pensacola Beach.

Thought I recognized the view. Two or three weekends ago the fam and I were at Pcola Beach and a very large and very dead sea turtle washed up and traveled all the way down the beach. Sad ... but it entertained the kids (I don't know what to make of that).

GGal
12-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey, I lived in Pensacola for two weeks in 1974 in a mobile home park....I liked to entertain the guy a few trailers down every day by laying out in my turquoise bikini.....sigh, that was then, this is now......

GGAL

nnuut
12-04-2007, 04:23 PM
What happened, lose the bikini?:confused:
I still have your picture! SHHHHucks!:D

Minnow
12-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Hey, I lived in Pensacola for two weeks in 1974 in a mobile home park....I liked to entertain the guy a few trailers down every day by laying out in my turquoise bikini.....sigh, that was then, this is now......

GGAL

HMMM.... a Dawg fan, a turquoise bikini, and a trailer park.... I know there's a good joke in there somewhere -- or a good movie :D

DAWG51
12-04-2007, 04:25 PM

GGAL

I think I was that guy. :toung:

Bullitt
12-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Cast your vote for Heisman at rivals.com

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/copoll.asp?poll=70

Minnow
12-05-2007, 03:46 PM
I voted for Tebow... thanks for the link Bullitt... and I think my vote mattered exactly zero to anyone that matters.

And I was with you on your take on the Arkansas coach but I don't think we can hold a coach's words against the person he's praising. Never cared for Houston Nutjob myself. McFadden did have a good year but.... Tebow was better in my opinion. Daniels may suffer the ol' "you didn't win the big one" against OU argument -- quite unfair to him but, those voters are fickle.

Who'd you vote for? If you don't mind revealing your vote.

Bullitt
12-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Minnow, I went with Tebow. As of my vote there was something like 35% for Tebow with second place being McFadden at around 30%. I'll never forget when Defensive Back Charles Woodson won the Heisman in 1996 over Marshall's Randy Moss and Tennesee's Peyton Manning. One of the biggest misjustices in ever in College Football. How incredible is it that Colt Brennan isn't even a candidate in a fan voting site?

weatherweenie
12-05-2007, 10:18 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-12-04-coaches-pay_N.htm

Four coaches — Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, Alabama's Nick Saban, Florida's Urban Meyer and Iowa's Kirk Ferentz — already have cracked the $3 million mark, leading a spiral that shows no sign of slowing. This year, for the first time, the average earnings of the 120 major-college football coaches hit $1 million, a USA TODAY analysis finds. That's not counting the benefits, perks and myriad bonuses in their contracts.

Minnow
12-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Minnow, I went with Tebow. As of my vote there was something like 35% for Tebow with second place being McFadden at around 30%. I'll never forget when Defensive Back Charles Woodson won the Heisman in 1996 over Marshall's Randy Moss and Tennesee's Peyton Manning. One of the biggest misjustices in ever in College Football. How incredible is it that Colt Brennan isn't even a candidate in a fan voting site?

I agree with you on '96 as well. Woodson was a tremendous college player but ... the Heisman???? His whole year was dedicated to a campaign (think Desmond Howard strangely enough from UM as well) rather than on the field performance (although he wasn't too shabby on either side of the ball). I forgot about Moss but Moss's school was too small (cuz he had one heck of a year ) and Manning had some Anti-Peyton campaigning going on. I would hate to ever take a vol side of an argument cuz I can't stand their fans but Peyton had a Heisman year that year and got jipped.

Brennan will get invited to New York hopefully if nothing more than as a reward for his stellar career played largely in obscurity. If he isn't in the top five then something is definitely wrong with the system.

Food for thought today in college football: If we were still under the bowl system, Ohio State would be playing in the Rose, LSU would be playing in the Sugar, and Oklahoma would be playing in the Orange. But, LSU would probably be playing Missouri or VT (Again) and Oklahoma would probably be playing UGA. Much better bowl games than we have on tap now. We would still be arguing about who's #1. Ain't progress great? Gimme a playoff system that involves the bowls.

Bullitt
12-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Good analysis on what the bowls would've been. I just noticed today that the Insight Bowl, which is Indiana vs. Oklahoma State, is being broadcast on the NFL Network New Year's Eve. Won't be able to watch that one, our local cable operator dropped it a few months ago. At least I'll get to watch Auburn vs. Clemson instead.

Can I trade Food Network, Lifetime Channel and Oxygen Network for the NFL Network?

Minnow
12-06-2007, 11:25 AM
My rods and cones are gonna be screwed up after this bowl season...

GT gets to play on that blue field in Idaho again -- thanks Chan Gailey.

HMMMM... the food network is so popular now maybe they will sponsor a bowl ... with full coverage of all the tailgating recipes. Had a great shrimp skewer once out of the back of someone's van at the Georgia/Florida Cocktail Party (don't ask what a Jacket fan was doing there, please) and I wish I could duplicate that recipe and that blend of meats (hope it wasn't possum).

Bullitt
12-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Tebow has already won 2 awards. Premier QB and Player of the Year. This link shows the winners so far. Not too many surprises.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=747034

Did you know that of the past 50 Heisman winners, only 4 have gone on to be an NFL MVP?

Those 4 are: OJ Simpson, Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell, and Marcus Allen. Great trivia question for your friends come saturday.

GGal
12-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Wuff, Wuff......6'3" and 229 pounds of handsome Double T, and I don't mean Tiny Tim.....

GGAL

Idaho Dave
12-14-2007, 01:41 PM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb180/Pattens/Will/Willvol.jpgFirst Try at a picture, I guess it says all I have to say to you that can't stand the fans.

Minnow
12-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Anybody else miss the fact that New Year's used to be more ... what's the word I'm searching for.... MEANINGFUL to College Football?

Bullitt
12-28-2007, 03:50 PM
And Christmas... No more Blue/Gray game.

tmc1045
12-28-2007, 06:34 PM
I vote for a post season playoff system. In my opinion, there are too many problems/issues with the BCS.

GGal
01-02-2008, 06:08 PM
I have to ask:

How 'Bout Them DAWGS????

Bullitt
01-04-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the end of the year AP polls. USC #3, or maybe it could be WV. I had a feeling WV would give OU a run, but not the 48-28 beating they dished out. I was about as surprised with that one as I was when I Pitt beat WV in the final week. I love bowl season.

GGal
01-05-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the end of the year AP polls. USC #3, or maybe it could be WV. I had a feeling WV would give OU a run, but not the 48-28 beating they dished out. I was about as surprised with that one as I was when I Pitt beat WV in the final week. I love bowl season.

So you think GA will be # 2

GGAL

Bullitt
01-05-2008, 11:28 AM
It's possible. They needed to blow out Hawaii to move up in position and they did 41-10.

GGal
01-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Well I hope you are right. We wouldn't want Richt to have to hire a hit man.
Which could happen if they somehow saw fit to leave GA at # 4.

GGAL

Bullitt
01-05-2008, 09:09 PM
SEC posts the best bowl record so far followed by Pac 10 and Big 12.
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=757645

GGal
01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Split Title????

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080104/SPORTS0202/801040330

GGal
01-07-2008, 09:07 PM
24-10 at Halftime, Tigers!

Bullitt
01-08-2008, 10:56 AM
AP Final Rankings
1. LSU
2. Georgia
3. USC
4. Missouri
5. Ohio State
6. WVU
7. Kansas
8. Oklahoma
9. VT
10. BC

USA Today placed USC #2 and Ohio State #4. WVU really shot themselves in the foot with that loss to Dave Wannstedt. All in all, I think the final rankings are in line. GGal, all's well that end's well.

Bullitt
01-08-2008, 10:58 AM
BCS Coordinator considers playoff system. "If the Rose Bowl wants to do this, we'll make it work."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AupTX3FLa63LTOzQbAOQnxEcvrYF?slug=ap-bcscoordinator&prov=ap&type=lgns