PDA

View Full Version : AGGRESSION

10-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Just made the 100% move to the S fund for the Friday jobs report coupled with oil going down. Will probably bank the gains and back to g for Monday.

Watch and see.

10-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Account now stands at 6932.0605 shares at (G fund) $10.58 for a total of $73.341.20

Hoping todays decline will continue for better share price in the S fund for tomorrow

brian_allen_19
10-07-2004, 07:45 PM
73,000 ^#^$%, how long have you been investing.. My misely 7200 doesnt compare. I have been in 2.5 years

10-07-2004, 11:11 PM
It takes time, my friend. Just think, you can learn a system, while your pile is a little smaller (comparitively) and when losses, as far as dollar amount, don't cost as much. Then when your "pile" grows larger, and you will be comfortable with a good system, and your gains will be worth more, dollar wise. I could show you tons of studies which show that right now for you, it is more important for you to load up the pile (add principal) than it is the return (just don't lose the principal) I hope this encourages you.

Joel

Spaf
10-07-2004, 11:28 PM
brian_allen_19 wrote:
73,000 ^#^$%, how long have you been investing.. My misely 7200 doesnt compare. I have been in 2.5 years
brian, don't worry. we all were where you are at! Regular investing and compounding will bring you up. Remember TSP is a do-it-yourself savings plan (tax deferred) for novices. Listen and set some goals (i.e., retirement, education, loan, etc.) try to get a plan (your plan)to follow the good and and not so good market activity; when to enter, transfer, allocations, exits, and whatever (even stay and hold, if you wish). Best of all, you have time and other members to talk with. From 1986 to 2004 a lot of us didn't have this luxury. And, a lot of members are missing out, even today. See what Tom has to say on the home page of this site.

tsptalk
10-08-2004, 10:35 PM
I don't usually like to talk balances because that doesn't matter whenpercentage returns is what counts as far as strategy goes. Actually, in the 10 months the site has been around, I don't believe I have ever even mentioned it. I was lucky enough to have a good chunk of money in TSP during the mid to late 1990's so my account balance exploded. There is no reason for someone who has 20 years, or even 10 years, not to get aggressive. There is no way my balance would be where it is if I sat in the G fund during those years. I do go to the G fund when appropriate but if my indicators flash bullish, I withstand the volatility and get invested.

I have found myself being more conservative, believe it or not, now that my accountbalance is well into 6 figures. I can gain or lose in a month the amount of some newer members' balances. This is not bragging but an incentive for you to get aggressive while you are young. I have been contributing to TSP for 20 years. I rarely used the G fund years ago. Don't worry so much about the volatility at your age. Get the money in there. Eventually your earnings will bypass your contributions. It's a nice feeling. Of course those down days can wipe out a week's salary too. :shock:

The key, as Joel mentioned, is time. Start early and keep at it. You'll be amazed in a few years.

10-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Dont like to talk balances? Maybe % gains are the key but those % gains (and losses) are HUGELY DIFFERENT when balances are different. The risk factor is the key and if you are willing tro show what you are risking then it certainly carries more weight in your decisions. Especially if they are winning ones. I took a hit for 11 cents per share on the 8th and moved back in to the G fund that morning. Lost a little over 600 bones. I am currently in the G fund with 72,923 at 6892.5577 shares at 10.58.

The slight discrepancy for you numbers crunchers is due to my contributions going in last Fri.

Mike
10-12-2004, 04:48 AM
In comparing returns, percentage is all that matters. However, if your balance influences your moves and your posture, then that would also have to be taken into consideration. In my case, I'm actually becoming moreaggressive as my thrift balance grows. I have a much larger stake than I did last fall, so I'm paying a lot more attention to business/economic news/share prices than I ever thought I would.

I used to think of indexes and tickers as boring. Not anymore!

10-12-2004, 07:50 AM
tsptakedown wrote:
Dont like to talk balances? Maybe % gains are the key but those % gains (and losses) are HUGELY DIFFERENT when balances are different. The risk factor is the key and if you are willing tro show what you are risking then it certainly carries more weight in your decisions. Especially if they are winning ones. I took a hit for 11 cents per share on the 8th and moved back in to the G fund that morning. Lost a little over 600 bones. I am currently in the G fund with 72,923 at 6892.5577 shares at 10.58.

The slight discrepancy for you numbers crunchers is due to my contributions going in last Fri.

HUH? What does it matter if you have $100 or $100000 in your account? Your % gain or loss is still the same, just more money involved. Bad call on Friday and on Monday. Sorry...........Why did you make these decisions?

M_M

10-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Yeah maybe bad call for Friday but you must consider holidays because you cant make any moves. And today will probably wipe out any gain for Mon. Oil is causing big problems. I thought it was going to pullback last Fri. but as we all can see it isn't. Looks like my bad call last Fri by going in the tank(G fund) will be paying off today. I look for one of the worst days for the markets in a long time today.

10-12-2004, 09:26 AM
I hope so, I just bought into 100% S this morning to take effect after close. :^

10-12-2004, 10:04 AM
I think you should have waited until later in the week to make the switch.

10-12-2004, 10:08 AM
tsptakedown wrote:
I think you should have waited until later in the week to make the switch. No pain, no gain............:shock:

Mike
10-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Based on the current action, I don't see why this day will be "one of the worst in a long time". The S&P is only down 5 points - about 1/2%. It dropped ~3x that much just a few days ago.

tsptalk
10-12-2004, 01:15 PM
1115 on the S&P 500 is right around the 50-day moving average. We seemed to have gotten a bounce off that number so far. The 20-day is still over the 50, and both are over the 200. All still very healthy. Now we need some good news on the earnings front after the close.

TheProphet
10-13-2004, 07:37 AM
I hear Yahoo Quadruple their profits last night... Some friends are going strictly technical and without any fundamentals... they keep telling me that everything can be justify why it goes up or what it goes down... bottom line... they belief the market obey... Elliot Waves, Moving Averages, Bands, Parabolics, Sesonalities... etc...

I personal belief on all the Technical Indicators emntioned above besides Trents, Cycles, Seasonalities, and Ramdon Irregular News... can of a combo... technical and fundamental...

But I may be totally wrong also... Hope not... :^

11-17-2004, 07:09 AM
tsptakedown wrote:
Just made the 100% move to the S fund for the Friday jobs report coupled with oil going down. Will probably bank the gains and back to g for Monday.

Watch and see.
Whatever happened to this guy? LOL

11-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Same thing that happened to the telegraph, girdle, and stone newpaper! You know what I mean?

Joel