PDA

View Full Version : 90% in G Fund

Timmie-O
09-30-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm close to retirement - a year or so away. I'm thinking of taking a little more risk and changing that 90% to the L Fund instead. It has done better than the G fund more often than not. The other 10% is played in other funds, depending on advise on this board and my own wisdom (or foolishness).

You all enjoy the rest of your weekend.

James48843
09-30-2007, 07:58 PM
If you are comfortable with the level of risk, then the "L" funds are probably an ideal alternative to straight "G" funds. It all hinges on YOUR comfort level.

Yes, you CAN loose a little, but you also have the possiblity to make gains that are larger, and, over time, will perform better than the "G".

that is the key question you have to answer for yourself- are you comfortable knowing that you have a limited amount of risk that you COULD loose money over the short term, in exchange for a very high probability that you will make MORE money over the longer term.

Since you are a year away from retirement, chances are you are going to try and stretch that money out for some long period of time (We all hope we live a long life...) So you have to judge for yourself your level of risk.

If it were me, I would do it. Personally, I don't think of "G" as anything other than a very short term defensive mechanism I would move into to prevent losses during a downturn. If it is long-term I seek, I am much more agressive.

What you choose to do it up to you. It's YOUR money.

best of luck- and happy investing.