PDA

View Full Version : help! new playing catch-up

debrac
09-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Very new to the market have had all my monies in g fund for 18 yrs now need to get active and play catchup , 7 yrs to retirement whats the best time to check the advice and make changes? what do i need to look for?

Spaf
09-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Debrac

I would advise staying in the G Fund and don't risk your savings until you know the risks and have a feel for the market, and most importantly a plan of action (when to enter and when to exit). This year (since March) the market has been very cyclic. It has been impacted by the results of the war, interest rates rising, not so good company earnings, and the rising cost of oil. Listen to what some of the membersare saying in the various talk forums. Some report making $, some are waiting, and I'm sure there are some finger nails being shortened! If you have 7 years, give yourself some time to learn. Getting into the market is like diving into a swimming pool. First make sure you can swim, the pool has water, etc., etc.

One of the blue buttons will take you to recent posts, where you can get current talks.

Welcome, be careful out there!

cowboy
09-23-2004, 02:58 PM
I would say stay G at the moment. Read Market Timers posts now!& Milk Man's account transactions. Even theydisagree with one anothersometimes both have systems that workfor them.My theory is this: The system guys are out and the market trendwatchers are out and only the very good the brave and impatient are in! LOL!! (Laughing out Loud). If you have only 7 years to retirement play conservative and watch the market thetrend is currently down be patient when you see thefund graph that you want to get into at the bottom or what you feel is the bottum. Take a dip if you don't like risk or your emotional go back to G. Oh yeah and Tom aint bad either plus Frizzbee & Rolo and Mike. Good Luck and if you read a post from me your flying by the seat of your pants!

Oh Yeah and listen to the above post! :^

tsptalk
09-23-2004, 06:41 PM
debrac wrote:
Very new to the market have had all my monies in g fund for 18 yrs now need to get active and play catchup , 7 yrs to retirement whats the best time to check the advice and make changes? what do i need to look for?
Welcome debrac! In addition to the message board, I update the market comments almost daily. (www.tsptalk.com/comments.html (http://www.tsptalk.com/comments.html)).

Thanks for joining us!
Tom

TheProphet
09-24-2004, 02:18 PM
debrac,

I do not claim to be a guru... but I put my TSP $$$ were mouth is...

you are welcome to see my position on my webpage...

http://www.geocities.com/earn100kplus/TSP.html?1096036971578

Hope you profitfrom it...

I use technical analysis such as the MACD Moving Average Convergent Divergent

and other sources... also I use all kind of fundamentals before I made my

decision... I love tsptalk website... it is a community builder as well...

We all in the same TSP boat...

Leon

09-25-2004, 06:06 AM
18 years in G fund. You missed the biggest bull market in history :(.

The next bull market will not be until 2015 (in my opinion). The key right now is not to take losses.

G fund is a good place to be for the near future.

Tom has good advice.

MT

debrac wrote: