PDA

View Full Version : Imus gets the Boot ...

Dodge_Em
04-12-2007, 04:53 PM
I can't believe he "Went there" ...:ban:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070412/imus_protests.html?.v=14

ebbnflow
04-12-2007, 05:40 PM
I believe it. I've heard him use the word nappy before, only not in conjunction with hoes, and specially not directed against decent college women.

He could get away with making fun of certain groups or race (Asians, Latinos, Arabs), but black people got more clout than other minorities. :D

GGal
04-12-2007, 08:04 PM
I would bet if someone re-played all of his shows, we would find that he has equally discriminated against persons of other races, including caucasian, and men as well (I think "men" is a race unto themselves.)

I mean, it's just his way. It's showmanship. He's always been so obvious with his put downs, that it was clear to me that he didn't mean to be offensive. (kind of like Milk-Man, and Birchtree)

Well, plus, it's always been very obvious that he was a pure-bred, card-carrying male chauvenist.

So now they give him the boot?

I think people should be allowed to say what they want. We have the choice to turn it off.

I mean, hey, have you ever watched that show "dance your pants off"? They let that on tv.

GA

nnuut
04-12-2007, 08:38 PM
I really don't like Imus, but I really don't think he should be fired because he said something that other people say all the time!!! That's prejudice. White ba---rd!:nuts:

2EASY
04-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Bottom Line up front: The news media didn't fire him. The people didn't fire him. After analysing the situation - His boss fired him.

CBS could have kept him, but they weren't willing to take that risk. The people spoke. Advertisors were pulling out. CBS had no choice.

A lesson to be learned. Yes, we all have freedom of speach, but when you are representing your organization when you speak, what you say could get your tail fired.

nnuut
04-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Bottom Line up front: The news media didn't fire him. The people didn't fire him. After analysing the situation - His boss fired him.

CBS could have kept him, but they weren't willing to take that risk. The people spoke. Advertisors were pulling out. CBS had no choice.

A lesson to be learned. Yes, we all have freedom of speach, but when you are representing your organization when you speak, what you say could get your tail fired.
FREEDOM OF SPEACH!!!!!!!!!!! You mean I,I,I,I,I, can't say what another PERSON says??? What kinda crap is that!!! No way, this old boy is going to agree with that stuff! We are are the same in the eyes of the LORD!:suspicious:

2EASY
04-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Nnut - you are right - you can't say what another person says to the world in front of your boss and expect to keep your job if your boss won't back you when people get offended by what you say. MSNBC & CBS decided not to back him. result = Imus got fired

If you are referring to the rap videos - unfortuantely, the companies are keeping the rappers - why - because of the $$$$$. Fools are buying the Cds that use the degrading language. As soon as these fools stop buying those CDs because of the foul language - those rappers will be fired also.

Dodge_Em
04-13-2007, 12:08 AM
If you are referring to the rap videos - unfortuantely, the companies are keeping the rappers - why - because of the $$$$$. Fools are buying the Cds that use the degrading language. As soon as these fools stop buying those CDs because of the foul language - those rappers will be fired also.

That is my number one ... Pet Pieve ... There never was a rap lifestyle back in the 80's ...and now some idiots came up with it and spread the word that it's OK to "Dis" your "Bro" and "live and die in LA" kind of BS. I personally refuse to go see those movies or buy any CD's related to such stupidity and hate.

"Word To Your Mother" :suspicious:

PS... I grew up in the formerly known "South Central LA" FWIW. :mad:

mlk_man
04-13-2007, 08:21 AM
I mean, it's just his way. It's showmanship. He's always been so obvious with his put downs, that it was clear to me that he didn't mean to be offensive. (kind of like Milk-Man, and Birchtree)

GA

Don't you have some laundry or housecleaning to do?

sugarandspice
04-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Wow! I can't believe everyone thinks this is a speech issue. You can guarantee that if the advertisers stay then he would have stayed. That is the only thing that mattered in this whole thing. $$$$$$

Griffin
04-13-2007, 09:39 AM
......... including caucasian, and men as well (I think "men" is a race unto themselves.)
GA

We're from Mars....I'm sure you read that book.:D

ChemEng
04-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Wow! I can't believe everyone thinks this is a speech issue. You can guarantee that if the advertisers stay then he would have stayed. That is the only thing that mattered in this whole thing. $$$$$$

Agree 100%. Just was having this same discussion with someone at work...

qibovin
04-13-2007, 09:49 AM

I agree with the concept of personal responsibility for your own speech and that companies have to follow the money, but I don't know if any of the parties involved (advertisers, CBS or "the boss") actually took the time to assess whether this would result in a loss of listeners. I had never heard of this guy before, and now--after all the free hype from the media--I have heard of him. And if I were inclined to listen to that kind of crap, I would now know where to tune in my radio.

You say, "The people spoke." Yeah, both of them--Jackson and Sharpton. Only a very small but ridiculously vocal minority even care what this guy says.

Furthermore, have you seen the game on which he was commenting? I saw some clips and the Rutger's girls were looking pretty rough and tough--intense faces and sort of "butch"--both black and white. The other team members looked kind of cute--again, black and white. Before you shoot me down, I overheard two African-American women at the gym Wednesday expressing essentially this same thoughts to each other.:ban:

That all said, I don't condone the comments, but then, that's why I don't listen to "Shock jocks." (except Savage:D )

FundSurfer
04-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Jackson and Sharpton = hypocrites ... just look at the skelotons in their closets.

Who proclaimed them the voice of the black community? The reason Imus got fired is because of these two jerks. They made visits to sponsors and to executives of the networks carring Imus's show. MSNBC and CBS and several sponsors caved into the pressure these guys brought to bear.

What other racial group has this type of self proclaimed superhero?

(I never like Imus' show either. Personally don't see it as a great loss. I am however outraged at what happened over a couple silly attempts at humor that did not go over well and the circus of Sharpton and Jackson. To me, calling the Rutger's women ho's was much worse than calling them nappy headed. This should not have been a racial slur issue since Imus basically intimated that the Tennessee women were attractive (also mostly black team). A racist would not intimate one black girl was attractive and another was nappy headed. Anyway you look at it - it was a stupid nothing comment.)

Dodge_Em
04-13-2007, 11:14 AM

Yup ... and the advertisers pulled their cash out so they wouldn't be guilty by association, because the show was going to crash due to Sharpton and Jackson. They got out when they saw this coming.

One thing I do have to say ... Imus' hair was pretty nappy too. Don't point the finger, cuz you have 3 pionting back at you. :toung:

AIF
04-13-2007, 12:24 PM
I agree with SugarandSpice. It's all about the advetising dollar.

Mr. Imus was only doing his job... SHOCK Jock.

GGal
04-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Don't you have some laundry or housecleaning to do?

Nope, my nappy headed hoe maids (who are white) did it for me! LOL!

Yep, to whoever said Imus is nappy headed....he's one ugly boy......that's why he's so free to say what he wants.....plus, he's got more money than Birchtree!....

I still think its about speech. Sharpton is allowed to speak, and Imus is not.

GA

rokid
04-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Imus can speak all he wants. He just won't get payed $8M a year to do it. Heck, I know lots of people who'll do ethic, racial, religious, sexual orientation, and gender slurs for free.:D

Imus' problem was that he picked on innocent college girls. College girls who had just lost the national championship. Talk about a low blow. I was impressed that the Rutgers coach, team, and team parents showed so much class in dealing with the the incident.

Imus got payed the big bucks for walking the line between propriety and impropriety. He wanted to be a "shock jock" and a legitimate interviewer. He just screwed up. Now he's retired.

GGal
04-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Wait a minute, Kid....

Imus has a mean tounge. He's being using it in similar fashion against all sorts of innocent people who didn't deserve it before the dreaded incident.....his career has been full of those very unkind remarks. His followers love it.

I think I'm peeved because I don't have equal protection under the law. If Imus had made a remark about a bunch of nappy-headed IRS agents (and he prolly has made some remark about us, we are after all the most hated group of people in the U.S.), no one would have screamed and hollered.

I see this as discrimination against me. And the scary thing is, it is going to continue to grow. I wouldn't want to be my grandchildren in this country.

I'm against trying to make everybody do and be and act and talk a certain way. And that's what Sharpton and the people who bend to his will are doing.

GA

GGal
04-14-2007, 08:28 AM
I was impressed that the Rutgers coach, team, and team parents showed so much class in dealing with the the incident.

Imus got payed the big bucks for walking the line between propriety and impropriety. He wanted to be a "shock jock" and a legitimate interviewer. He just screwed up. Now he's retired.

Oh, please. Class? (whah, whah, whah, we're so "hurt", please somebody defend our honor)

Class would have been if they shrugged it off without a thought.

And Imus didn't wanna be, he "was" a legitimate interviewer, with his own style that his followers (who did not include everyone) loved.

He didn't screw up, he was just doing his thing.

The reactors are the ones who screwed up. The whah, whah, whah'ers, including the team and the advertisers and Sharpton, and CBS.

I've never lived in a Rosy world, why should anyone else? The world ain't Rosy.

Don't get me started. I paid 40% of my gross salary last year just in income tax, never mind property tax, sales tax, excise tax. 40%. And a big chunk of that did not go for roads, did not go for protection from police and the army, did not go to pay the president's and senators salaries, did not go to make the country run. A big chunk of that 40% out of my salary went to pay to make life rosier for a lot of people who just don't have the gumption that I have.

This little dissertation has nothing to do with the basketball team, it has to do with Sharpton, and pressure on society to think a certain way.

Well, I have rights too, but it doesn't seem so. Now I don't get to watch Imus anymore (though I never did, didn't have time to watch the old pig), and I don't have the right to be successful in my career and make good money and spend it the way I choose. I've gotta turn half of it over to make life rosy for those who don't do what I do.

This whole "everybody better be in line" thing will be the end of us.

Crap!

GA

GA

nnuut
04-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Ya know these team members are not the run-of-the-mill basketball players. How much is tuition at Rutgers? Don't think I can afford to send my kids to Rutgers? Must have Sports Grants ($$$$$$) and such? I think he picked the wrong group to insult!:embarrest:

rokid
04-14-2007, 09:45 AM
How much is tuition at Rutgers? Don't think I can afford to send my kids to Rutgers?

I don't know what the tuition is. However, Rutgers is a state, not a private school.

I bet Imus wouldn't have called any of the Rutgers basketball players a "nappy headed hoe" to her face. They'd still be trying to cut him out of the net. However, for some reason, he thinks he can call them that on the air with impunity.

Your freedom to swing your fist ends at my nose!:suspicious:

tsptalk
04-14-2007, 10:04 AM
I am one of the last people to be offended by anything posted here but I do know there are others who can be. I have skimmed through some of these posts and I want you to feel free to speak your mind but please be mindful of the context of your statements, particularly attempts at humor as this is a sensitive subject to some. I'd really rather not edit anything, and I won't, as long as the discussion remains in good taste.

Thanks,

tsptalk
04-14-2007, 10:42 AM
My take is that this was a business decison by CBS, MSNBC and the sponsors. They didn't want to associate themselves with Imus because in the end they thought it would affect their bottom line. If Imus' ratings were poor they would have done the same thing.

Obviously the comments were inappropriate. However, if the folks who started this witch hunt don't take this to the next level, namely the entertainment industry, then they will prove they are simple hypocrites with a personal agenda and not looking for what is in the best interest of others.

merlin
04-14-2007, 11:33 AM
My take is that this was a business decison by CBS, MSNBC and the sponsors. They didn't want to associate themselves with Imus because in the end they thought it would affect their bottom line. If Imus' ratings were poor they would have done the same thing.

Obviously the comments were inappropriate. However, if the folks who started this witch hunt don't take this to the next level, namely the entertainment industry, then they will prove they are simple hypocrites with a personal agenda and not looking for what is in the best interest of others.

I agree.

tsptalk
04-14-2007, 06:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qpaM5bA7Z0&NR=1

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L5ZQXaXmCW4

vic
04-14-2007, 08:20 PM
I would just like to know who elected Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton the national spokepersons that the media has to rush to get their input. Neither has ever been elected to any office. The crap they say they should be banned from all airways. Especially Jackson. He is nothing but a self serving hippocrite. Imus is a low life and I never listen to him for more then 5 minutes, but lets get rid of Jackson and Sharpton and a few others. How about Rosie fat ass and her garbage.

Callme_CO
04-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Ok i bit my tounge for the longest time but i can't take it anymore. I can't stand Imus...i think he's an idiot...but i dont think he deserved to be fired. Msnbc can say whatever they want but it was a business reason they fired him and nothing else. Now to the real point of my rant. I'm completely and utterly tired of the self-proclaimed civilright's leaders Sharpton and Jackson. These two men couldn't be bigger hypocrites. The majority of the time they have been wrong. Just look at the Duke lacrosse players. Anybody hear and appology? I dont remember hearing one. That's right there wasn't one they were to busy jumping on this band wagon. This might sound offensive to some and it might not to others but Those two are a big reason racism is still around.

I know i know your probably going to jump my case. I'm not saying that they are the soul cause or anything. I'm just saying you can't get past racism when you insite it yourself. I would have much more respect for them if I heard an appology when they are wrong. But dont hold your breath.

VirginiaBob
04-15-2007, 05:52 AM
Ok i bit my tounge for the longest time but i can't take it anymore. I can't stand Imus...i think he's an idiot...but i dont think he deserved to be fired. Msnbc can say whatever they want but it was a business reason they fired him and nothing else. Now to the real point of my rant. I'm completely and utterly tired of the self-proclaimed civilright's leaders Sharpton and Jackson. These two men couldn't be bigger hypocrites. The majority of the time they have been wrong. Just look at the Duke lacrosse players. Anybody hear and appology? I dont remember hearing one. That's right there wasn't one they were to busy jumping on this band wagon. This might sound offensive to some and it might not to others but Those two are a big reason racism is still around.

I know i know your probably going to jump my case. I'm not saying that they are the soul cause or anything. I'm just saying you can't get past racism when you insite it yourself. I would have much more respect for them if I heard an appology when they are wrong. But dont hold your breath.

Don't worry, nobody is going to be jumping on your case since you are pretty much expressing the opinion of the silent majority.

GGal
04-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Where is Sharpton when some guy cruises slowly through the local supermarket parking lot, with all his windows down, and his boom box wide open, playing the most obscene music ever created, because he wants to be sure my daughters and I, and every other shopper in the area, hear it?

GA

rokid
04-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Jonetta Rose Barras discusses the Imus controversy in today’s Washington Post Outlook section, “We’re Our Own Worst Imuses”. Ms. Barras is a black political commentator on the DC public radio station, WAMU.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/13/AR2007041302054.html

Some of her key points:

Thug culture, which includes “bitches and hos”, is a $4B a year business for Warner Brothers, Viacom, and Black Entertainment Television (BET). My comment: I wonder if firing Imus was a form of damage control for those big corporations. In other words, stop the controversy before it impacts the bottom line.

Thug culture has gone main stream and even old white guys, like Imus, use it to appear hip and cutting edge. A personal note: My son’s friend, young, white, female, Masters degree, refers to her girl friends as “hos”. Ridiculous, but true.

Blacks want to control thug culture. After all, it’s a money maker. They can throw around the N-word and “jiggabo” (Spike Lee’s School Daze) and it’s art. However, non-blacks had better be careful.

Sharpton and others may have condemned rap artists. However, they haven’t gone after them with the vengeance that they showed against Imus. Perhaps, it’s because more than a few black organizations benefit from the money generated by the thug culture.

I guess there’s plenty of hypocrisy to go around.:cool:

Birchtree
04-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Alright all you popcorns - Imus was probably getting ready to retire to the ranch anyhow. He does more good out west helping young people with health issues and has a very active philanthropy organization. Ted Turner will probably start a new station with Imus running the darn thing. Doors will open to shut up the liberals.

sugarandspice
04-16-2007, 09:19 AM
If Imus wants to stay in radio, satellite will welcome him with open arms. It's up to him. Ego says he will.

mlk_man
04-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Since we're on the subject, Don "he ain't nappy headed" Ho passed away today.........................

Callme_CO
04-16-2007, 11:35 AM
ok to play the devil's advocate and my wife brought this up to me the day this all broke. This is a sexist issue not a racial one.

I never really saw this as a racial thing. I mean nappy? The fake reverends wanna make us swallow this it comes from the slavery days BS and quite frankly i dont buy it. The only truly derogatory thing he had said was "ho's" and that places it in a sexist catagory. But then i guess with all his time spent falsely accusing and condeming the lacrosse players (without appologizing) he wouldn't have the time to know the difference.

GGal
04-16-2007, 05:57 PM
GA, can you maybe use your influence to push this April 17th thing back maybe one day, you know, to give us a little bit more time...:worried:

Hey, when it comes to taxes, procrastination is definitely not the way to go....it only makes it more stressful.....

If I don't owe, I always get mine out of the way in February. If I owe, I wait, but no later than April 1.

I don't get the same treatment as the rest of the world. One year, I made a $6 math error, got the bill for the $6, paid it, then a few months later got major inquisition from Washington...they wanted me to promise that I would never make another error....I told them that I would try, but that I could not promise that.....

GA

ayla
04-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Jonetta Rose Barras discusses the Imus controversy in today’s Washington Post Outlook section, “We’re Our Own Worst Imuses”. Ms. Barras is a black political commentator on the DC public radio station, WAMU.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/13/AR2007041302054.html

Sharpton and others may have condemned rap artists. However, they haven’t gone after them with the vengeance that they showed against Imus. Perhaps, it’s because more than a few black organizations benefit from the money generated by the thug culture.

[/FONT]

Sharpton had numerous examples today on Oprah's town hall show that indicated he has in fact gone after with a vengeance numerous other black personalities but they don't get the media attention when blacks go after blacks.

Somehow that has a ring of truth to it. It does seem that blacks criticizing blacks doesn't have quite the "juice" as blacks criticizing whites. Wonder if this is more manipulation by those who own the media to keep us fighting each other so we don't go after the guys who REALLY make money with all this.

All the black panelists were not happy with snoop. One reported that snoop was actually going to have a cameo appearance on a muffet show but it was canceled before the final production. They felt helpless to combat him because he had become so acceptable to mainstream (blacks AND whites).

It ended with the question "What's next?"... the hip hoppers give their side of the story tomorrow on Oprah...

SkyPilot
04-17-2007, 06:52 AM
When community leaders quit appearing on awards shows with gansta rappers, and congratulating them in public, their fight against degrading speech will gain a new level of legitimacy...

Bill Cosby began this discussion a few years ago, and many of these same leaders criticized him severely for "dissing" the culture.

Abandon the "hip-hop" and "gang" summits sponsored by these same leaders, and call it for what it is.

I remember how President Clinton was rebuked by this same community for calling out Sister Souljah...

Ironic, huh?

ChemEng
04-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Another interesting addition from this mornings commute on Howard Stern that is somewhat relevant to this discussion and I thought a bit funny.

They were playing a clip from another radio show and the dj asked "who died and made Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton king?"

Almost in unison the answer was of course "Martin Luther King, Jr."

Funny how quickly we forget.

Also puts stark contrast with the garbage going on today. MLK was civil rights activist. Not sure what you would call Jackson/Sharpton short of localized terrorists or fearmongers...

Ok so maybe it wasnt so funny afterall.

SkyPilot
04-17-2007, 07:26 AM
...how bout' extortionists and "shake down" artists.

tsptalk
04-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Not to make light of either incident, but I'll bet Imus, Sharpton, and Jackson are breathing a sigh of relief that their saga has been moved off of the front page of the news for the first time in a week. But I may be I'm wrong. They may have enjoyed the spotlight?

ChemEng
04-17-2007, 10:18 AM
I doubt Sharpton and Jackson are relieved... They revel in issues that are allowed to fester from lack of closure.

Now they have to move on.

(Although they may be glad that moving on from Imus from the prospective that the news will now move on from rehashing from both of their well documented histories of racial slurs.)

qibovin
04-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Not to make light of either incident, but I'll bet Imus, Sharpton, and Jackson are breathing a sigh of relief that their saga has been moved off of the front page of the news for the first time in a week. But I may be I'm wrong. They may have enjoyed the spotlight?

I have not yet heard anyone in the news confirm that any of these guys were not involved in more recent events.:worried: