PDA

View Full Version : email the indices?

mailmanusa
10-08-2006, 05:40 AM
For those on the road at the critical times this suggestion could be helpfull if implemented. For instance, I can get email on my cell phone. I already tag some threads from this forum so I can watch what the members are thinking and help me make my decisions as the noon deadline aproaches. Obviously I can also call in an IFT with my cell phone. One other thing would be really helpfull to me. An email at about 11:45 or so that contained the indices that are important to us TSP'ers would be really nice. Could something like that be set up to work automatically? Members who could benifit would just add thier address to a list and get the info. Text only would work fine.

Example:

10/10/06 11:45am

S&P up 1
Wilshire up .77
EFA down .04
Bonds up .01

mailmanusa
10-08-2006, 05:58 AM
I was just thinking and realized how easy it could be. A thread could be started and the info be added each day by one of our wonderfull moderaters who so unselfishly donate thier time. Then members could just subscribe to the thread and wala...done.

Gilligan
10-10-2006, 11:18 AM
For those on the road at the critical times this suggestion could be helpfull if implemented. For instance, I can get email on my cell phone. I already tag some threads from this forum so I can watch what the members are thinking and help me make my decisions as the noon deadline aproaches. Obviously I can also call in an IFT with my cell phone. One other thing would be really helpfull to me. An email at about 11:45 or so that contained the indices that are important to us TSP'ers would be really nice. Could something like that be set up to work automatically? Members who could benifit would just add thier address to a list and get the info. Text only would work fine.

Example:

10/10/06 11:45am

S&P up 1
Wilshire up .77
EFA down .04
Bonds up .01
Mailmanusa,
I didn't get to your post till after the deadline, but you can use this as a test.
S&P up 2
Wilshire up 7
EFAE up 2
Bonds down 2

tsptalk
10-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Can you get stock quotes on your phone as well mailman? I guess that is a service you'd probably have to pay for.

I don't always have a chance to get online at that time, but we do get the most traffic here between 10:30 AM and Noon ET so someone should be able to post the info. I'll start a little area where it can be done and report back.

tsptalk
10-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Let's see how it goes ...
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?p=59165#post59165

mailmanusa
10-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Gilligan, although your post was late it worked perfectly. I had subscribed to this post and got the alert on my phone when you posted. Thanks for responding and proving how simple it could be. Any time between 11:30 and 11:45am would allow time for people to respond to the info. I cant imagine that I would be the only one who would ever benifit form a thread like this. Even if some of the members who are normally in front of a desktop, may be traveling at some point in the future and could benifit. Just another simple service offered by this great site.

Tom, Thanks for giving it a trial run. Actually anybody could post the figures. Anyone who wanted to get the results on thier phone would just subscribe to the post. I am gonna subscribe to the post you started Tom. We will see what happens.

mailmanusa
10-11-2006, 03:04 AM
To answer you question Tom. I did search the web for services that automatically send quotes to email and found one. There was a charge for the service but the main reason I hesitated was lack of information describing specifically what services were avialable. It was like "stock quotes to your phone...sign up now" and thats it. No way to tell if they could provide the specific info usefull to me.

To fine tune my suggestion on this forum. Perhaps it would be clearer to the recievers if the updates entered on the thread were entered in percentage form.

Example

10/11/06 11:32am
S&P up .33%
Wilshire up .51%
EAFE down .11%
Bonds down .02%

I think its easier to get the picture using the percentage figure rather than the actual point movement.

mailmanusa
10-11-2006, 03:40 AM
For anyone who would want to help by making an entry, here is a link that has all the info lined up on one page.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^gspc+^dwcpf+efa+agg&d=t

Again, I think the percentage figure is easiest to follow.

mailmanusa
10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks to the two members who entered qoutes. I got em on time. Seems to be working fine. In case anyone was wondering, my data transfer costs for email to my cell from Cingular is only 1 penny per KB. To log on and read a few pieces costs about a niclke on average. Probably wont add up to more than $5 per month. If anyone wants to try it out I recomend getting a free AOL account. Thier preferences allow you to list only the domains from which you wish to recieve mail. That way you never pay for transfering data that you dont want.