PDA

View Full Version : CRASH!

nnuut
08-24-2015, 09:04 AM
NYSE Will Suspend Stock Trading If S&P 500 Index Plunges 7%http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-24/nyse-will-suspend-stock-trading-if-s-p-500-index-plunges-7-

RazorCat
08-24-2015, 09:15 AM
I hope one of the market experts will explain. What's the reasoning behind suspending trading for short periods at the specified benchmarks they stated? I would (strictly) guess that it's an attempt to avert a free fall. ??????????????

Is this a normal strategy that's been executed before?

userque
08-24-2015, 09:18 AM
I hope one of the market experts will explain. What's the reasoning behind suspending trading for short periods at the specified benchmarks they stated? I would (strictly) guess that it's an attempt to avert a free fall. ??????????????

Is this a normal strategy that's been executed before?

Happens from time to time. I'm no expert, so I'll leave you with these links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trading_curb

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44059883

RazorCat
08-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the links userque.
I honestly can't say I've ever paid attention when this may have happened in the past.

James48843
08-24-2015, 09:35 AM
In my experience-

When people start using the word "crash", it most often signals one heck of a great buying opportunity.

nnuut
08-24-2015, 09:36 AM
That's standard procedure for the NYSE!
Do ya think the PPT will jump in on this one and lighten the load, I do!

userque
08-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the links userque.
I honestly can't say I've ever paid attention when this may have happened in the past.

You're welcome...sounds like either you've got more skin in the game this time; or you're paying more attention.:smile:

userque
08-24-2015, 09:47 AM
That's standard procedure for the NYSE!
Do ya think the PPT will jump in on this one and lighten the load, I do!

Me too. :smile:

James48843
08-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Just to show you how ridiculous this is- take a look at what "The Donald" just tweeted:

"Markets are crashing - all caused by poor planning and allowing China and Asia to dictate the agenda. This could get very messy! Vote Trump.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 24, 2015 "

Yeh. right.

OK Donald- thanks for the heads up.

userque
08-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Just to show you how ridiculous this is- take a look at what "The Donald" just tweeted:

Yeh. right.

OK Donald- thanks for the heads up. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I wonder what Deez Nuts thinks about this market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deez_Nuts_(candidate)

TommyIV
08-24-2015, 10:13 AM
In my experience-

When people start using the word "crash", it most often signals one heck of a great buying opportunity.

That's what I keep leaning towards. There is a lot of fear across the globe right now and rightfully so. US stocks are at the end of a line of dominoes reacting to European markets but once things lighten up abroad I think investors will regain some confidence and we'll see a good bounce. But at this point that's a coin flip.

Bquat
08-24-2015, 10:19 AM
That's what I keep leaning towards. There is a lot of fear across the globe right now and rightfully so. US stocks are at the end of a line of dominoes reacting to European markets but once things lighten up abroad I think investors will regain some confidence and we'll see a good bounce. But at this point that's a coin flip.
There's a big change of fear right there::suspicious:

Frixxxx
08-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Bounce!

RazorCat
08-24-2015, 10:35 AM
You're welcome...sounds like either you've got more skin in the game this time; or you're paying more attention.:smile:

Alot more skin in the game these days, and retired. Have to watch the bottom line a little closer, and practice "fiscal preservation" more often. I'm well ahead of my returns goal for the year, so no complaints. The market will find a bottom at some point and present some excellent buying opportunities.
Good luck all.

TommyIV
08-24-2015, 10:48 AM
There's a big change of fear right there::suspicious:

Why not? Aside from low oil prices, which some could find reasons to be a good thing, the US's economy is still looking strong to me. This sell off is just making stocks cheaper and buyers will jump in as soon as the bears loosen up. When that will be is beyond me.

Ozarkharleyguy
08-24-2015, 10:53 AM
I'm retired and have been sitting in the G Fund. I'm guessing this is a good time to jump into the C or S Fund? Which and do you think I'm jumping in to soon?

Thanks

TommyIV
08-24-2015, 11:35 AM
I'm retired and have been sitting in the G Fund. I'm guessing this is a good time to jump into the C or S Fund? Which and do you think I'm jumping in to soon?

Thanks

Well it's dangerous to predict a bottom, even a bounce could be temporary in an emotional market. Buying low is always a given but I wouldn't suggest planning to buy and hold at this time. My advice is to look into a premium service here at TSP talk where you'll get advice from experts who have a good idea of short term trends and will help you time your allocations to maximize your return (disclosure: I don't have a TSP account, but I trade the ETF signals.) You're right in that it may be time to get out of the G fund but timing is key. Our premium services are simple and you are not obligated to act on the suggestion of the premium service but you'll definitely be given information to help you make an educated decision rather than a shot in the dark.

Boghie
08-24-2015, 11:43 AM
We are only a point down. At the 'crash' level we were about 5 or 6 points down.

This does not look like 2008. It looks yummy...

konakathy
08-24-2015, 12:11 PM
STOCK MARKET BLUES

"When you're cryin' you should be buyin' "..... 😢 I'm throwing the tissues in the trash, turning the computer off, taking a deep breath and getting on with the day. The present is all we can count on. Best wishes for our investments going forward ! :smile:

http://youtu.be/R23ij289Sdk

nnuut
08-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Today might be a:34967day..:(

jpcavin
08-24-2015, 12:53 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/24/64b9e2397cafe29a4e853d7b0c90e5e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burrocrat
08-24-2015, 01:01 PM
hey, remember back in '15 when the markets opened limit down across the board and everyone pooped a little in their pants? ahhh, good times.

nnuut
08-25-2015, 10:45 AM
I LIKE Rick!
Santelli: "When The Fed Comes Up With The True Value Of Interest Rates, We'll Get The True Value Of Stocks"Video:
Santelli: "When The Fed Comes Up With The True Value Of Interest Rates, We'll Get The True Value Of Stocks" | Video | RealClearPolitics (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/08/24/santelli_when_the_fed_comes_up_with_the_true_value _of_interest_rates_well_get_the_true_value_of_stoc ks.html)

Warrenlm
08-25-2015, 11:25 AM
In my experience-

Are you filling in for Dennis? :)

MrBowl
08-25-2015, 12:10 PM
We hit 1867 in the S&P yesterday and I think we'll see it again within a few days. Lots of damage has been done to confidence. In the big picture, a 12-15% correction isn't that rare. Right now I don't think this will even be as bad as 2011, which was around a 20% drop. I think a final low point will hit in sept and the 4th qtr will be very green for U.S. markets.

nnuut
08-25-2015, 03:21 PM
Well the PPT [Plunge Protection Team} did their best, BUT! it still looks like a CRASH to me.

MrBowl
08-25-2015, 03:24 PM
I should have said "in 3 hrs". This looks dangerous to me. Confidence in the market is shot.

We hit 1867 in the S&P yesterday and I think we'll see it again within a few days. Lots of damage has been done to confidence. In the big picture, a 12-15% correction isn't that rare. Right now I don't think this will even be as bad as 2011, which was around a 20% drop. I think a final low point will hit in sept and the 4th qtr will be very green for U.S. markets.

Bquat
08-25-2015, 03:55 PM
Well the PPT [Plunge Protection Team} did their best, BUT! it still looks like a CRASH to me.Here's a theory on the PPT. They are waiting for volume to subside a little and will try to fight to hold the Jan 2014 low. So Friday will be there fighting day. They can't let this continue into the weekend. Just a theory.:cool: