PDA

View Full Version : Read The Labels

mlk_man
08-26-2005, 06:16 AM
This is an e-mail I recieved the other day.

M_M

Hi Michael,

Some months back Chet Rowland mentioned that we shouldn’t drink Dasani water. Normally Chet’s
advice is about other matters, real estate and women to name a couple - so I
forgot all about what he said until I received an email from Peggi who said the
same thing.

Dasani water is a Coca Cola product. Big surprise there, huh.

The two biggest sellers in the bottled water world are Dasani, and Aquafina, a
Pepsi product.

I have a bottle of Dasani right next to me here as I write so I tell you what’s
on the label.

Purified water, potassium chloride, magnesium sulfate, and salt.

According to Peggi, “The chief use of potassium chloride is in fertilizers, and
chemical manufacturing. Common reactions to potassium chloride include nausea,
vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. It also has interactions with certain
drugs that are not pleasant.”

They also add magnesium sulfates which are more commonly called Epsom salts.
They
can be ingested, but they are a laxative.

And salt. Why on earth do we need salt in a "water" product.

So, what I'm saying is, you be the judge on this one. Do some research and
determine if drinking this sort of water is good for you.

Aquafina, on the other hand, is a Pepsi product.

It uses a 7-step filtration process and the only ingredient listed on the bottle
is purified water.

I am not endorsing Aquafina. What I am encouraging you to do is read the labels
on what you drink, and eat. If you think an ingredient doesn’t belong, you
probably shouldn’t use the product.

It takes a little effort to know what it is you are ingesting. But the closer
you
can get something to its natural state, the better off you will be.

Thanks Chet. Thanks Peggi.

Kick butt…take names,

Sean Furey

P.S. Dr. Sharon Dennis wroteme to say that nobody talks about the amount of
phosphoric acid in soda. She says phosphorus, calcium, and magnesium are in
specific balances in the body, and when we add more phosphorus we need to
balance
it out by pulling other minerals from reservoirs like bone.

She goes on to say those people in their early 20’s, who drink more than 1 can
of
soda per day, and were tested by a DEXA machine, already show signs of
significant bone loss.

tsptalk
08-26-2005, 07:10 PM
My 11 year old son has done aproject for the science fair the past two years. It consisted ofputting this magnetizing device invarious bottled waters and other sources of water. The water changes color based on what is found in it, pesticides, minerals, chlorine, etc. I don't remember the exact results but I do remember that Avian(sp?) was the worst and ironically it was the most expensive. Not all the bottled water did poorly but most did. Distilled water was the best but next came watertaken from an underground well in my neighborhood.

mlk_man
08-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Hope your son got a good grade!

Distilled water should always have the least contaminents, but it will also have the least minerals. If one drinks a lot of distilled water, they should also be taking mineral supplements. Although minerals in water are the most readily absorbed. Even better than minerals in food.

I feel the best water is from natural springs unless you have a nice well with no contamination. I'd be sure to have it checked. Many tests are available just by doing a Google.

I actully think Evian is one of the better waters mineral wise, they are one of the few that actually put the mineralcontent on the label, althoughsome contamination has been reportedas can be seen in this link: http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/appa.asp

I drink mainly Naya and Deer Park.

Getting back to the supplementation thingy for a minute, I have had lots of conversations with friends and family about this. One the main responses I get is "I'm cool, I take a one-a-day vitamin every day. Well, this is better than nothing but most people don't realize that when something says "100% RDA", the RDA(recommemded daily allowance), is what is needed to keep you alive, not necessarily healthy. I myself take 4 "one-a-days" everyday. Two inthe morning and two in the evening with food. Along with a few other "choice" supplements to include fish oil with 400 IU vitamin E. Always take extra E with fish oil because fish oil increases the oxidant stress on the body and vitamin E neutralizes this effect.

M_M

grandma
08-29-2005, 10:25 PM
mlk_man wrote:
I feel the best water is from natural springs unless you have a nice well with no contamination. I'd be sure to have it checked.
M_M
Many of the bottle water products are simply packaged city water from somewhere else. The label is Always important - whatever it is........

Rolo
09-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Being that this is a money board, I'll ask the question:

Why the Hell would you buy water?

I like the water that comes from my fridge...cold...filtered...comes in a big jug. Being that Colorado is more dry than a desert, I drink plenty of it.

biggdog1
09-04-2005, 10:20 PM
It's getting that you can't even wipe your #*%@# without checking the content of the paper your using. I'm aninsulin dependant diabetic and I read all labels including my meds. You are wise to look before you eat. With everything that's put in meat products and how food is grown you're not going to need to be embalmed when you're done with this life. It's being done to you while you're alive.

Rolo
09-04-2005, 11:32 PM
biggdog1 wrote:
...you're not going to need to be embalmed when you're done with this life. It's being done to you while you're alive.
LOL!

biggdog1
09-05-2005, 12:42 AM
There's nothing wrong about nachos and Bud Light is there ?

grandma
09-05-2005, 01:06 AM
biggdog1 wrote:
There's nothing wrong about nachos and Bud Light is there ?
...and just what do the labels say related to: I'm aninsulin dependant diabetic and I read all labels including my meds ......

??????????????:P ?????????????

biggdog1
09-05-2005, 02:35 AM
Grandma I were a just joking. I do read all labels to check carb/sugar contents, salt,drug interactions, etc.. When you have to know what you're putting into your body you just have to become more educated about labeling of all food and drugs ( just check sugar content in ketchup, you would be amazed ).I abused my body too much when I was younger ( not druggin' ) that now I'm paying the price and have probably cut several dog years from my lifespan. I'm not bitchin', it was my choice at the time. Hope you didn't make the same mistakes.Love your avater.

grandma
09-05-2005, 01:35 PM
biggdog1 wrote:
Grandma I were a just joking. .Love your avater.I knew that . W_W does wonders w/avatars - !!!!

Rolo
09-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Is she still around?