PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a "lurker"

Tomato4
02-15-2005, 05:25 AM
Hi everyone, I have been "lurking" on this site for several months now and through this site I have become interested enough in finance and the markets to both actively manage my tsp account and develop an outside tspretirement plan. Thanks to all.

My questions:

1) When I watch CNN and see the ticker for sp500 that that is the largest 500 companies in the US and is represents our C fund.Is NASDAQ represented by our tsp funds? NAS? DOW(S and C?).

2) Has anyone heard if we are going to get new fund choices?

02-15-2005, 06:11 AM
Hi Tomato4!

C=S&P500(very large companies) S=Wilshire 4500 (very small companies)

We don't have a Nasdaq Index per se, however, many companies in the C and S are listed in Nasdaq. The Dow companies should be a small portion of the C fund.

The Thrift Board is preparing to add a life-cycle fund, which would be an automatically diversified collection of existing funds.

Hope that helps. :)

Rolo
02-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Welcome, Tomato!

Sarah toldya right.

Also, you can go to Yahoo! Finance and compare ticker symbols for the various indicies to see how closely they follow each other. The thing to watch now is whether small caps (S Fund, DWCP) will continue to outperform large caps (C Fund, SPX).

Wheels
02-15-2005, 08:05 AM
saraho wrote:
C=S&P500 (very large companies) S=Wilshire 4500 (very small companies)

Actually the companies in the Wilshire 4500 are not very small companies per se, although many are.The Wilshire 4500 is made up every American stock that is not in the S&P 500 (there are about 5300 companies now in the fund) and some of them are very large, just not the largest 500.

Dave