Page 84 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Results 997 to 1,008 of 1217

Thread: Boghies Account Talk

Default Re: Boghies Account Talk

Quote Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
    Hello Boghie. I was in San Diego last week, but was too busy to try and reach out to anyone. How are you doing?
    Doing OK, looking to migrate to the private sector in the Raleigh, NC area. Kalefornea is looking like Dumber and Dummber III...
    Lookin' up at the 'G Fund'!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boghie View Post
    Doing OK, looking to migrate to the private sector in the Raleigh, NC area. Kalefornea is looking like Dumber and Dummber III...
    Yeah, my 2 oldest daughters live in SD with their families and I worry about the longer-term out there for them. I left 16 years ago and never looked back.

Glad you're doing well. Had dinner in the Old Spaghetti Factory in the Gaslamp while I was out there. It was very good are pretty reasonably priced considering the prices overall in the area.

Well folks,

You probably thought I croaked - but, you aint that lucky!!!

Migrated like a Reverse Oki to North Carolina where the sun is still good, the cost of living awesome, and the taxes light and understandable. Tried to get a job in the private sector - but, good god those companies move even slower than the gubmint so I took a great job in a field I enjoy that has promotion potential. That is, in the data management and presentation sector of the computing field. At the very worse this job will refresh my resume - but, I am enjoying it.

Anyway, you guys are lucky because all those changes in the wind kinda forced me to run to the hills in TSP. I became non-competitive. Yuk, yuk. Will probably be moving to more risk soon now that I can effectively watch my account.

Gotta go. Looks like another 75 degree day in Raleigh from this side of the window

Well folks,

You probably thought I croaked - but, you aint that lucky!!!

Migrated like a Reverse Oki to North Carolina where the sun is still good, the cost of living awesome, and the taxes light and understandable. Tried to get a job in the private sector - but, good god those companies move even slower than the gubmint so I took a great job in a field I enjoy that has promotion potential. That is, in the data management and presentation sector of the computing field. At the very worse this job will refresh my resume - but, I am enjoying it.

Anyway, you guys are lucky because all those changes in the wind kinda forced me to run to the hills in TSP. I became non-competitive. Yuk, yuk. Will probably be moving to more risk soon now that I can effectively watch my account.

Gotta go. Looks like another 75 degree day in Raleigh from this side of the window
    38 degrees and rainy with a chance of flurries here on the north coast.
    May the force be with us.

Good to hear you are doing well Boghie!!! 60 degrees with chance of rain, cold front on it's way, way down here in Boiled Peanut GA! Taxes low, housing Cheap no CA crap here.

Thanks for the drive by! You are definitely one of the "whatthehellhappenedto" people I think about around here. Glad all is well and you are retired in NC. ...and central IL had snow showers yesterday morning and is supposed to be 70 at the end of the week.

Welcome to NC!

Cool Re: Boghies Account Talk

Well, not going 100% in - but moving to an aggressive stance:

• G: 4% - Standard Edelman allocation (kinda dumb in our environment)
    • F: 21% - I don't like this, so I was thinking of moving more to G:
    • C: 32%
    • S: 29%
    • I: 14% - This actually looks good now. Maybe move some of that BBQ Pig held in F to this later

Annualized Return: 9.82%
    Annual Compound Return: 9.07%
    Annualized Expected Variance: 11.62%

Is that Santa in the sky or the comet everybody is talking about???

Been a boring year for TSP investment. I mean, it was hard to lose money and decisions were easy. Decided to 'let her ride' for most of the year and ended up quite well.

So well in fact that:

That no longer small number on the left side of my TSP balance rotated up Thursday!!!

I had a phone conference with Edelman Financial on Thursday. It was really a great discussion and I learned quite a bit. A full plan will be presented this coming Wednesday. He told me that my allocation was great and my contribution allocation was perfect. I have to work a bit to break down the profit from the house purchase and my insurance needs may not be quite met so Wednesday should be informational. All in all, I highly recommend them.
    Last edited by Boghie; 12-30-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Make that Thursday, not yesterday - which I guess was a down day...

Been a boring year for TSP investment. I mean, it was hard to lose money and decisions were easy. Decided to 'let her ride' for most of the year and ended up quite well.

So well in fact that:

That no longer small number on the left side of my TSP balance rotated up Thursday!!!

I had a phone conference with Edelman Financial on Thursday. It was really a great discussion and I learned quite a bit. A full plan will be presented this coming Wednesday. He told me that my allocation was great and my contribution allocation was perfect. I have to work a bit to break down the profit from the house purchase and my insurance needs may not be quite met so Wednesday should be informational. All in all, I highly recommend them.
    Well, a fullish plan was presented - and things look great. I am signing up with Edelman Financial.

Our investment philosophies are very similar - they should be, I kinda ripped my three allocation models right off his website. Anyway, without directly addressing my three portfolio strategy, the adviser stated that I was perfectly set on allocation and contribution and that anything from a 60%/40% equity/bond split through 75%/25% split was good to go. Well, that is the range of my three allocations... He is recommending the aggressive allocation for the investable assets from the sale of my house since I will not be touching that money for a decade or more. Without me even signing on he gave me the fund breakdown - which is kinda risky and obviously he knew it. It is awesome. I will be able to invest in some of the Dimensional Fund ETFs which are only available to large investors - and, I ain't large (don't go there). I will not present that ETF allocation because it is probably proprietary and could get me in lock up!!! But, it would generally map to 7%/12%/22%/18%/14% G/F/C/S/I and a mess at 17% that I cannot really map to TSP.

An oddity, but cool. Because I made a purty profit in the sale I am short term wealthy. He is recommending that I max out my TSP contributions and just hold back the difference in a cash account to cover it. Cool. Get the money invested early so it grows the max amount, hope the wifey thang gets a job and can start supporting my contribution habbit or start up her own, or just do it for a year or two. All good. And, he calculated a full year of buffer money to hold as well. Leaving a very decent lump for a down payment on a house here in North Cacilaki.

Third, a very detailed retirement income plan was presented that incorporates all our income streams. Very, very conservatively incorporates them. For example, he is using the Social Security income on the current statement - not inflation adjusted. He did the same on my Federal FERS pension - and did not incorporate a COLA. In the end, to live on an income stream equal to our current all I need is a 5.5% return. And, OMG, that is NOT after inflation which he is assuming to be 3%. Yowser, just 2.5% over inflation. My long term IRR is 8.5%. I think I can get at least a 5.5% return.\

The remaining thing to deal with is insurance. I have been on vacation and I don't think I can access the portal outside the .mil domain. Not exactly certain what my life insurance benefits are. They were good to go when set. He will review those number and offer suggestions.

Awesome experience, highly recommended. And, as you probably have noted, I am not a Noob when it comes to financial planning. I was good to go and without any real problems. For me this process just adds a bit and gives me more knowledge. Plus it will let me off-site some of this to a good team when I retire in a decade or so.

The remaining thing to deal with is insurance. I have been on vacation and I don't think I can access the portal outside the .mil domain. Not exactly certain what my life insurance benefits are. They were good to go when set. He will review those number and offer suggestions.
    Would be interested in what they recommend. Outside of life insurance, you may want to consider umbrella policy--generally covering home & auto.

Quote Originally Posted by evilanne View Post
    Would be interested in what they recommend. Outside of life insurance, you may want to consider umbrella policy--generally covering home & auto.
    I think he mentioned an Umbrella policy. We are going to focus on maxing out TSP contributions and moving money from my checking account to TD Ameritrade for investment. I was asked to send him the life insurance information after I returned to work.

Page 84 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast