Thread: TSP withdrawl options, main points to consider advantages @ disadvantages over 65

Default TSP withdrawl options, main points to consider advantages @ disadvantages over 65

Whats options advantages and disadvantages for leaving it in till rmd's take effect, or taking a monthly dollar amount at 66 and paying the taxes on traditional non roth account?
    I see little advantage 2.08% g fund for leaving it in except if % increases.
    I mean ya got tta pay taxes in year ya take it.
    If ya take a big lump ya gotta pay a big lump, but you could control what you spend it on cause its in your bank account.
    I think age and related issues with it can be a deciding factor so to just take it and pay taxes while healthy may be wiser than waiting to accumulate , penny wise and pound foolish.
    Gotta ask yourself who are you saving the money for yourself or, shouldn't you be one who gets to spend it?
    Whats point in working, saving if ya aint gonna spend it?
    Some one else will gladly benefit off your hard earned work and savings.
    We all think were gonna live forever so we need to keep earning.
    Being on fixed income aint great but its a lifeline if we live within our means.
    Great uncertainty exists older we get, uncertainty in economy govt social security medicare ect true maybe health is # 1 as we age.
    I know lotta of you want to provide your tsp for heirs cause ya got lotta money from other means.
    Im one where I jus got fixed incomes, equity in property low overhead and that's it.
    If needed emergency came and ya needed it quick if its sittin in your tsp and cant be accessed what good would that be?
    In yer checking draws no interest but 2.08% aint much.
    Ok anyone got 2 cents to ad?

Default Re: TSP withdrawl options, main points to consider advantages @ disadvantages over 65

If your concerned about access I would take it out of the TSP and open a personal IRA. Better than the "G" fund or a checking account. Better options than the TSP. Only will pay taxes on your monthly withdrawals if that's what you want to do.
    May the force be with us.

Default Re: TSP withdrawl options, main points to consider advantages @ disadvantages over 65

Quote Originally Posted by olefoggie View Post
    In yer checking draws no interest but 2.08% aint much.
    You don't have to leave it all in the G-fund. A little risk in the stock funds may bring more reward.

(btw, I'm necessarily advocating leaving it in the TSP. Just saying, if you do, you can diversify a little).
    Tom
    Market Commentary | My Blog | TSP Talk Plus | |

I am not a Registered Investment Advisor and this is not investment advice. Please do your own due diligence.