Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: ripper's account talk

Default Re: ripper's account talk

At today's close:

Sold 50% TNA @ 56.83
    Sold XIV @ 85.62

Hi Ripper!...Just wondering if you ever got around to retiring? I played with some single stock trades a few years ago just to see if I could make money doing it. I took 5g and turned it into just over 6500 in 3 months but it took more time than I routinely have while working. Now that I am down to my final (most likely) 3 years I am pondering retirement income streams and are thinking about getting back into some trading and was wondering what your work status was and how much time you are investing on your trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcqlives View Post
    Hi Ripper!...Just wondering if you ever got around to retiring? I played with some single stock trades a few years ago just to see if I could make money doing it. I took 5g and turned it into just over 6500 in 3 months but it took more time than I routinely have while working. Now that I am down to my final (most likely) 3 years I am pondering retirement income streams and are thinking about getting back into some trading and was wondering what your work status was and how much time you are investing on your trades.
    Hi, Mcglives! Unfortunately, my path to retirement took an unexpected detour just before I reached my destination.

I had everything in place to retire on June 1 of this year. But in early May, I was diagnosed with a serious illness.
    I was blindsided by the news. I've always been healthy...can't remember the last time I was sick.
    Anyway, I've had several surgeries in the last couple of months and am currently recovering from them. I postponed my retirement date. I plan to use the remainder of my Sick Leave and retire at the end of this year when my SL runs dry.

One of the better moves I've made was when I rolled over about 90% of my TSP to an IRA over a year ago, using the age-based, one-time withdrawal option. My returns on the IRA have far exceeded anything I could've earned in my TSP. It will also make it much easier when I begin making withdrawals next year.
    I'm currently using four different trading signals in my IRA. They range from a daily signal to some that don't change for a number of weeks.

Thanks for your response and sorry to hear about your illness. If you posted about it before I must have forgotten. I hope you are on the road to recovery and it is an easy one!
    Burning your sick leave is a wise choice. Getting 1% for never taking a day in 20 years is a gyp for sure. Using it and getting better or just spending mental health days with the family are way better choices in my mind.
    I am a law enforcement officer so will have to retire before I am 57. The TSP funds being exempted from IRS 10% early withdrawal penalty is very attractive to me. I know I could 72t things but hesitate to do so simply because of this, and the low costs. I hold 3 accounts through American Funds and their performance is way better than anything TSP has for sure. If I think I can make it on retirement and a retirement job without touching my investments I will roll most of TSP into an IRA of some sort for sure.

At today's close:

Bought 50% TNA @ 57.01
    Bought XIV @ 86.56

Wishing you a speedy recovery ripper!

Quote Originally Posted by Mcqlives View Post
    Thanks for your response and sorry to hear about your illness. If you posted about it before I must have forgotten. I hope you are on the road to recovery and it is an easy one!
    Burning your sick leave is a wise choice. Getting 1% for never taking a day in 20 years is a gyp for sure. Using it and getting better or just spending mental health days with the family are way better choices in my mind.
    I am a law enforcement officer so will have to retire before I am 57. The TSP funds being exempted from IRS 10% early withdrawal penalty is very attractive to me. I know I could 72t things but hesitate to do so simply because of this, and the low costs. I hold 3 accounts through American Funds and their performance is way better than anything TSP has for sure. If I think I can make it on retirement and a retirement job without touching my investments I will roll most of TSP into an IRA of some sort for sure.
    Thanks for the kind words. No, I haven't posted about this before. I kept it private from almost everyone at first, but I'm fine with talking about it now. Actually seems to be a bit therapeutic...

Yes, discovering my condition just before my planned retirement, rather than soon after, was a bit of a silver lining. It's nice that even though when we use two weeks of Sick Leave, we still earn 8 more hours of Annual Leave and 4 more hours of SL. Also nice to continue to receive the 5% matching funds in TSP.

It sounds like you have a good plan for your retirement. We are all unique. Similarly, what makes each of us happiest and most comfortable in our retirements can greatly vary. I enjoy hearing about the retirement strategies and plans of others. But in the end, we all have to do what's best for our own selves.

Weekly update:

Aggressive Model trades only TNA/TZA.
    Conservative Model trades only SPY/SH.
    Volatility Model trades only XIV/VXX.
    Models will hold a 50% or 100% position or be in cash.

All returns (except TSP) are compounded.
    Performance does not include current open trades.

Aggressive Model
    2016 Return: +62.2%
    Year-to-date:+4.1%
    Current Position: 100% TNA @ 56.45

Conservative Model
    2016 Return: +10.4%
    Year-to-date: +3.2%
    Current position: 100% SPY @ 241.35

Volatility Model
    2016 Return (6 months): +48.0%
    Year-to-date: +14.7%
    Current position: 100% XIV @ 86.56