Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fed Tech/Military Dual Status Retirement Stories

Default Re: Fed Tech/Military Dual Status Retirement Stories

I'm still stuck at "having to wait until able to collect my military retirement at age 60." I'm confused. Is it because you guys did not do 20 years active duty or because you were in the Reserves? I retired from the military after 20 years and started drawing my pension immediately. In another 1 1/2 years, I will have 10 years civil service and I'm calling it quits. I hope to do a lot of traveling in my time off.

I did 7 years active duty and now close to 12 in the reserves. Guard and reserve can start collecting at 59 1/2. Any active duty time can be bought back and counted towards civil service years. Even if you do 20 years you can buy back your time but it's not advisable.

I'm sure the reserves doesn't have MRD. About a year ago a guy transferred to my old reserve unit from the guard and he was at 21 years and under 1 year left on his contract. During his first drill orientation he was asked if he wanted to reenlist for 6 more years. He said it blew him away because in the guard anything over 20 is closely scrutinized for enlisted.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcavin View Post
    I'm still stuck at "having to wait until able to collect my military retirement at age 60." I'm confused. Is it because you guys did not do 20 years active duty or because you were in the Reserves? I retired from the military after 20 years and started drawing my pension immediately. In another 1 1/2 years, I will have 10 years civil service and I'm calling it quits. I hope to do a lot of traveling in my time off.
    The thread leans towards the combination of Dual Status 'Civil Service and Military' and how they plan.

Reservists recieve their military retirement pay at 60. (Minus AOR time of war for some)

There can be a whole conversation on how and what retirement is between Active Duty (20 years of day to day service) and Reservists (20 years of Weekend/Annual Tour/Orders).

The quickest explanation is this:
    Active duty 20 years * 365 = 7300 points = 50% base pay (2.5% a year after 20)
    Reservist 20 years * (enter participation points) = ??% base pay

There are many contributing factors, Rank, special orders, total years, etc.
    THIS IS WHERE I WOULD PUT SOMETHING TO REPRESENT MY THINKING, BUT THEN THEY SHOW UP!
    Tracker =
    Check my position

Quote Originally Posted by sillbeer View Post
    I did 7 years active duty and now close to 12 in the reserves. Guard and reserve can start collecting at 59 1/2.
    It's actually 60. Adjustments are made based on participation designated in the 2008 law that allows reservists/guard to claim that time against retirement.
    Any active duty time can be bought back and counted towards civil service years. Even if you do 20 years you can buy back your time but it's not advisable.

I'm sure the reserves doesn't have MRD. About a year ago a guy transferred to my old reserve unit from the guard and he was at 21 years and under 1 year left on his contract. During his first drill orientation he was asked if he wanted to reenlist for 6 more years. He said it blew him away because in the guard anything over 20 is closely scrutinized for enlisted.
    Reservists still have High Year Tenure (HYT) rules. And it's not the years that are scrutinized it's the points. Retirements are funded differently between state and federal and if some people fulfill the 7300 points, they are elligible for a federal retirement.
    THIS IS WHERE I WOULD PUT SOMETHING TO REPRESENT MY THINKING, BUT THEN THEY SHOW UP!
    Tracker =
    Check my position

I did 7 years active duty and now close to 12 in the reserves. Guard and reserve can start collecting at 59 1/2. Any active duty time can be bought back and counted towards civil service years. Even if you do 20 years you can buy back your time but it's not advisable.

The Navy Reserves has High Year Tenure (different name in other services) for enlisted, that limits how long anyone can be in the reserves(or active duty) based on rank. HYT for Reserves is a bit more accomodating than the active side. Regarless of rank, mandatory retirement age is 60 for enlisted so in a way, that is sort of like MRD?

The link below has the term limits for each respective branch based on rank.
    https://www.thebalance.com/high-year...litary-3355995

Quote Originally Posted by Frixxxx View Post
    It's actually 60. Adjustments are made based on participation designated in the 2008 law that allows reservists/guard to claim that time against retirement.

Reservists still have High Year Tenure (HYT) rules. And it's not the years that are scrutinized it's the points. Retirements are funded differently between state and federal and if some people fulfill the 7300 points, they are elligible for a federal retirement.
    For those that are not familiar, that law (FY2008 National Defense Authorization Act) passed on January 28, 2008, allows National Guard and Reserve members to reduce the age at which they are aligible to receive retired pay by three months for every cummulative 90 days active duty served in any fiscal year. That could mean starting retired pay as early as age 50 but no less.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12