Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: userque's Account talk

Blog Entries

Default Re: userque's Account talk

Some of this stuff is starting to come back to me. It was BASICA not ABASIC.

Quote Originally Posted by userque View Post
    Excellent! Keep us posted.

I've had some college towards EE. I work with electronics. My hobbies include ML and AI.

I learned more by doing a lot of reading of academic papers. You can restrict google to .edu domains to find them more easily.

EDIT: What exactly are you interested in learning more about? I may be able to point you to something I've already found.

Haven't used Clojure. So far, including stuff I've forgotten and only know a little about : BASIC, Z-80 Assembler, MS-DOS, FORTRAN, QBASIC, ABASIC?, C++, Visual BASIC, VBA, AutoIt, Sikuli.

Python is not as fast--execution-wise, but it seems to be the way to go as far as versatility and development speed, etc.
    [COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=comic sans ms][I]"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."--Unknown[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by clester View Post
    Just stumbled on your thread and saw you talking about machine learning. I have gotten interested in that lately and so you got my attention. I'm taking a class on ML on coursera from Stanford. I'm just near the beginning but seem interesting. They use matlab/octave for programming. Lots of matrix algebra so far mixed with a little programing at this point.

What is your background in ML? or AI ? any suggestions where I can go to learn more? I have programming background (C.S. degree years ago) but not professionally. I have done a little in Python. Have you ever used Clojure?
    Matlab is very popular and has a ton of libraries/toolkits and a lot of support. Not the most user friendly environment since there's a lot of parameter passing and documentation usually has a lot of short hand.

Im an EE who did a CE track. Most of my coursework was in C, but I've also used matlab, mathcad, assembly and, C++. and I took a SaaS class (ruby on rails) and Android applications class on Coursera/Edx. I use LabVIEW for a living...but I don't think I'd ever recommend labview for datacrunching; it's also got a lot of libraries and it's far more user friendly than matlab, but I'd never consider it efficient relative to other languages, and it's pretty terrible at digital logic/algebraic equations.

Blog Entries

Yeah...considered Matlab too. As you suggest, it has a steep learning curve. That's fine, except that it can't double as a general purpose language like Python can. Not to mention it is not Open Source. If I'm going to spend a lot of time getting good at a language, I want it to be able to do a lot...without a lot of effort...relatively speaking.

I've played with Android development...nothing serious.

Do a little research into Python and see what you think...including the Machine Learning and Numbers, etc. packages.

Quote Originally Posted by k0nkuzh0n View Post
    Matlab is very popular and has a ton of libraries/toolkits and a lot of support. Not the most user friendly environment since there's a lot of parameter passing and documentation usually has a lot of short hand.

Im an EE who did a CE track. Most of my coursework was in C, but I've also used matlab, mathcad, assembly and, C++. and I took a SaaS class (ruby on rails) and Android applications class on Coursera/Edx. I use LabVIEW for a living...but I don't think I'd ever recommend labview for datacrunching; it's also got a lot of libraries and it's far more user friendly than matlab, but I'd never consider it efficient relative to other languages, and it's pretty terrible at digital logic/algebraic equations.
    [COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=comic sans ms][I]"In the land of idiots, the moron is King."--Unknown[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]

Blog Entries

Machine Learning Competitions

https://www.kaggle.com/competitions

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

[video] The Law of Unintended Consequences

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Just a little something I've been wanting to mention for months now:

I always follow a system and sell at a loss if the system calls for it. We have to know that every trade won't be a winner. So why sweat a loss? Some become long-term investors...holding on to a losing trade. Others 'double down' at 'better' prices. Developing and FOLLOWING a system that one is comfortable with really helps.

If I ever get felted, it'll be because I traded poorly--until the bitter end; not because I became an investor to avoid selling at a loss, and ultimately, watched a stock fall until it was delisted, etc.

One can hold on to a losing trade for a year to finally and proudly exit at a profit. However, I believe it would have been more profitable to take the loss a year ago and trade for that whole year rather than leaving money tied up in a losing trade. This concepts escapes a lot of folks, strangely.

All of this, of course, assumes the use of a system that works. One shouldn't be trading unless their system has shown to be a working one--either through paper trading or proper backtesting.

Finally, regarding 'doubling' down:

Martingale Systems and Why They Dont Work In Stock Trading

It was initially developed for games like roulette, where there can be an equal chance of winning and losing. It can be used for other games with similar 50-50 chances and also can be modified for stock trading.

Consider a case of a coin toss, in which you have to correctly guess the result to win. You can either lose all the money that you bet, or double it, if your guess is right.

Your chance of a right guess are 1 in 2; or 50%.

In the Martingale system, the player doubles his bet every time he loses.
    If a system gives another buy signal after the initial trade lost ground, is it then ok to 'double' down?

Depends upon your money management scheme. One would be 'doubling' their exposure and risk...so...maybe.

...IMO

Good luck during these rough waters!

Nice post on trading discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by userque View Post
    If I ever get felted
    That's good. It's a poker term to me - but is it also used for other endeavors where you lose "the lot?"
    Tom
    Market Commentary | My Blog | TSP Talk Plus | |

I am not a Registered Investment Advisor and this is not investment advice. Please do your own due diligence.

Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast