Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: FERs Retirees, anyone?

Default Re: FERs Retirees, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Maricar19 View Post
    And I didn't realize about the proportionate distributions. I know about the impact on Roth and regular, but for an unknown reason, i always skipped reading the part "and from each TSP fund in which you have investments."
    I can't find the article now, but another concern about the proportionate distributions is for people who opened a Roth TSP and want to retire now. The Roth option is new and has to be open for 5 years before you can start withdrawing form it or you encure a penalty. The problem is the proportionate distributions won't let you withdraw only from the regular TSP. The article I read, and now can't find, basically said that you had to withdraw your funds and split them into traditional and Roth IRAs. I guess the rollover of the older traditional TSP satisfied the 5 year requiremnt so you could draw from that one and wait on the Roth. There were still other gotchas like the 59.5 age requirements. If I can ever find that story I'll post it here. The moral of the story is: if you are within 5 years of retirement don't open a Roth TSP.
    Allocations as of COB Dec 28 : 100% S. | Retirement Date:Dec 2025
    Past Returns:
    2020 31.85%,2019 27.97%,2018 -3.36%,2017 13.10%, 2016 -1.79%, 5Yr Avg 12.61%

For those folks talking about our high 3 years, remember those aren't actual calendar or even fiscal years. The FERS pension is calculated on our highest 36 consecutive months.
    Allocations as of COB Dec 28 : 100% S. | Retirement Date:Dec 2025
    Past Returns:
    2020 31.85%,2019 27.97%,2018 -3.36%,2017 13.10%, 2016 -1.79%, 5Yr Avg 12.61%

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    For those folks talking about our high 3 years, remember those aren't actual calendar or even fiscal years. The FERS pension is calculated on our highest 36 consecutive months.
    so waiting for the end of January after the COLA really doesn't help much? I know some who have done this.
    seams like its better to acquire as much annual leave as possible and leave at the end of December. Sound right?
    thanks
    "Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other." John Adams 10/11/1798

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    so waiting for the end of January after the COLA really doesn't help much? I know some who have done this.
    seams like its better to acquire as much annual leave as possible and leave at the end of December. Sound right?
    thanks
    V,

Sounds WAY right !!! Technically speaking, I guess you could say waiting for the COLA would result in "more" on your pension check, but it's the OTHER 35 months that would keep it down !

Take the AL money and run !

Stoplight...
    "Too old to rock and roll...too young to die"... - I. Anderson

thanks
    Valkyrie,

Retiring at the end of January to get your COLA only helps for January and not your high 3.

I always found Tammy Flanagan's articles helpful. Here is a link to her article about the best days of the month to retire for CSRS and FERS. There is also a download for the best dates to retire for 2015.
    Best Dates to Retire 2015 - Retirement Planning - Pay & Benefits - GovExec.com
    May the force be with us.

thanks
    The only reason to retire at end of January is
    1- Your MRA is in January OR
    2- Your annual leave is under 240 hrs at year end and it does not matter to you.

I retired at the end of May and incurred a high tax bracket. I would say retire on December
    100 G
    RSI - Relative Strength Indicator DMA - day moving average

Valkyrie,
    I tend to agree with Clester, SLight, NASA, Skorcher, and Cactus.
    Depending on when you hit your MRA, FERs pensioners are almost always advised to retire at the end of the year , some say at the end of the month.

1. Accrued Annual Leave - this will tide you over until you get the full FERs annuity.From reading other TSPTalkers, the first few months is not a full pension.
    2. Retiring sometime in the month, you don't get next month's pension e.g.,retire in January 7, you don't get your 1st annuity until March. Can somebody confirm this, please?
    3.not familiar with Cola,but from what I understand, you don't get Cola until 62.
    4. Tax bracket

I know others who wait in January for the pay increase. Their reasoning, their annual leave will have more $value per hour.
    Last edited by Maricar19; 02-09-2015 at 05:18 PM.
    Emotions should never play a role in one's investing strategy!
    No to Greed...No to Fear!
    http://share.robinhood.com/mariloc1

If I can ever find that story I'll post it here. The moral of the story is: if you are within 5 years of retirement don't open a Roth TSP.
    That is exactly my dilemma. My spouse and I had more than 5 years since we started contributing to Roth. We originally intended to retire at 60, but something happened and we had to advance it to 57,end of next year. So the 59 1/2 rule will impact our planned - full withdrawal (1 lump sum and series of monthly payments) Now, we will have 10% penalty because of prop. distribution.

But I read somewhere,(which of course, I can't find anymore), that We can have our Roth ( only) be rolled over to an IRA, that way, we can avoid the 10% penalty. Now, what I am not sure of is the treatment of the roll over, will that be considered my one time lump sum withdrawal?

Well, I'll have to consult a financial advisor...but Of course, I will procrastinate until june next year. LOL..

Maricar19, I ran into this on Consuelo Mack WealthTrack: Consuelo Mack WEALTHTRACK: The right track to your financial health. : WealthTrack which I watch on PBS. More of her guests started espousing this after the 2008 crash. The context is people who were already retired with the standard 60/40 bond/stock split. With the lowering interest rates on their fixed income investments, these retirees weren't receiving enough income to live on. They were being encouraged to take on more risk to make up the difference while keeping 5 years of living expenses in safety.

The last time I saw one of her guests talking about this was last fall, but unless you subscribe to her service you can only get transcripts from the last couple of shows. Here is a transcript I found still available of when Mary Beth Franklin was on: Fidelity Funds | Stock Discussion Forums

Here are some links I found online talking about these buckets of money as they call them.

How Much Stock Should You Own in Retirement? - WSJ

Reduce Stock Exposure in Retirement, or Gradually Increase It?

Increase Stock Allocations In Retirement? Maybe, Maybe Not
    Cactus, excellent reading on the five year cushion. I think my plan is almost similar with that...however, I just have an arbitrary amount..not based on 5 years. Using 5 years worth of expenses as the yardstick for my one time lump sum payment makes a lot of sense than my original plan of withdrawing a dollar amount out of the blue.

Thanks, Cactus. I hope a lot of Tsptalkers will get a chance to read it..

Quote Originally Posted by Stoplight View Post
    WW,

That's a great question, that I haven't seen asked before !!!

I've often thought...IF your high-3 comes at the end of your career (mine didn't !), one might consider taking a lateral into a higher locality pay area for 3 years, if your Agency allows it...bite the bullet for 3 years, then retire back to where you WANT to live !!!

Never crunched the numbers to see if that would even make sense, with PCS expenses, cost of living, etc etc...but it's an interesting thought !!! Talk about gaming the system !!! Stoplight...
    I've seen quite a few people in my agency do the high-3 back in DC just before retiring back to wherever they really want to retire. Or they may at least do last few years in a regional office to get high-3. Not for me. I grew up in DC area, watched my dad do that daily commute from the burbs. ugh. Watched the traffic jams on the interstate on Sunday evenings for years as people came back from the mountains to their homes closer in to DC. Inner beltway apartment living not for me either. Ugh. Kudoes to those who are willing to do that. They have more fortitude than I.

Maricar19, I ran into this on Consuelo Mack WealthTrack: Consuelo Mack WEALTHTRACK: The right track to your financial health. : WealthTrack which I watch on PBS. More of her guests started espousing this after the 2008 crash. The context is people who were already retired with the standard 60/40 bond/stock split. With the lowering interest rates on their fixed income investments, these retirees weren't receiving enough income to live on. They were being encouraged to take on more risk to make up the difference while keeping 5 years of living expenses in safety.

The last time I saw one of her guests talking about this was last fall, but unless you subscribe to her service you can only get transcripts from the last couple of shows. Here is a transcript I found still available of when Mary Beth Franklin was on: Fidelity Funds | Stock Discussion Forums

Here are some links I found online talking about these buckets of money as they call them.

How Much Stock Should You Own in Retirement? - WSJ

Reduce Stock Exposure in Retirement, or Gradually Increase It?

Increase Stock Allocations In Retirement? Maybe, Maybe Not
    I just wanted to re-post this because it is a great read...

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast