Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your TSP Balance and Your Age Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Share Your TSP Balance and Your Age Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PessOptimist View Post
    At 4.5 years I had 38k in TSP. At 3.5 years I had 32k.

Reading through the thread it doesn’t appear I am doing that badly compared to some and better than some. Just like any sampling of anything.

Best of luck everyone.
    PO
    Shoot, better than me! I am closing in on my 4th full year and am behind your pace by a considerable amount.

On a good note, it looks like I will end this year with 400% more $ in interest paid to me than any previous year. 2012 was my best year before this, and I should quadruple that as long as nothing crazy happens here near the end. 2014 Q4 alone has brought me double the total interest $ than all of 2012 combined so far. It's been a good year. Hopefully many more to come.

Stinking desert valley of bad air quality, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by bmneveu View Post
    Shoot, better than me! I am closing in on my 4th full year and am behind your pace by a considerable amount.

On a good note, it looks like I will end this year with 400% more $ in interest paid to me than any previous year. 2012 was my best year before this, and I should quadruple that as long as nothing crazy happens here near the end. 2014 Q4 alone has brought me double the total interest $ than all of 2012 combined so far. It's been a good year. Hopefully many more to come.
    Good deal on the gains and I too hope many more to come. I stated in my overlong post, everyone's situation is different. What I had going for me at the start of my .fed career was 24 years military time and that annuity. It paid PITI and some of the bills so no matter what happened I would have a roof to live under. Plus I lucked in to a .fed job that had a duty description ripped out of the AF classification manual for my specialty. Life has been good to me so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXWvKDSwvls

Not as good as Joe Walsh's but my old Dakota does 107 if you are crazy enough to hold you foot down that long. One time experiment since at about 90 it started making funny noises and doing funny things. A brick can only take so much wind.

So back on topic, I was able to contribute a lot to TSP early on. During my first year my balance was below my accumulated contributions at one point and if I had been monitoring it closely I would probably have quit contributing. It turned out OK by me ignoring it until later years. All my best to you and thanks for your service. I am starting to get annoyed with that cliche at times but mean it sincerely.

PO

Blog Entries

49 years old
    27.75 years ATC
    max since day 1
    1.54 million in my TSP
    CURRENT ALLOCATION = 100% G
    Fear is the greatest buy signal ever seen in the stock markets - Birchtree

Quote Originally Posted by ATCJeff View Post
    49 years old
    27.75 years ATC
    max since day 1
    1.54 million in my TSP
    Very impressive! An excellent example to others of what can be achieved. Can you expound on your TSP management actions (i.e., passive/active, put it on auto-pilot, used a premium service, etc.)? I'm curious to know how much of the $1.54 million balance is your employee contributions.
    07/7.02 08/-36.53 09/29.86 10/13.31 11/-0.74 12/11.42 13/14.45 14/3.66 15/4.34 16/11.44
    AutoTracker: 12/+11.97 13/+14.59 14/+3.52 15/+4.34 16/+11.39

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OBGibby View Post
    Very impressive! An excellent example to others of what can be achieved. Can you expound on your TSP management actions (i.e., passive/active, put it on auto-pilot, used a premium service, etc.)? I'm curious to know how much of the $1.54 million balance is your employee contributions.
    I was very active back when we had unlimited trades. I almost always use 100S when in the market. Definitely no auto except in the early days when it was a pain to change funds and account balance was low. I use premium services to back stop my decisions. I'll have to look on a statement to see how much employee contributions. I'm sure it's north of 200K.
    CURRENT ALLOCATION = 100% G
    Fear is the greatest buy signal ever seen in the stock markets - Birchtree

49 years old
    27.75 years ATC
    max since day 1
    1.54 million in my TSP
    That is why he was on my poach spreadsheet with ContrarianJeff and a few others . Not telling
    But ATCJeff is no longer visible. And if I move to the paid side that dang Burro will shove me off the Ark...:toung:
    Lookin' up at the 'G Fund'!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boghie View Post
    And if I move to the paid side that dang Burro will shove me off the Ark...:toung:
    Me being a cheapo and a Star Wars fan, I like to refer to it as the Dark Side

49 years old
    27.75 years ATC
    max since day 1
    1.54 million in my TSP
    I have always watched you and now I know why!!!!!!

I love to hear that you maxed out day one!

I bet no one wants to hear how you sacrificed to make that happen......That's the meat of all strategies!
    THIS IS WHERE I WOULD PUT SOMETHING TO REPRESENT MY THINKING, BUT THEN THEY SHOW UP!
    Tracker =
    Check my position

Only had my TSP account 1 year so far, I'm 28 years old and have $7,400 so far after this next payday. I put in 8% right now with an agency matching 5%. I'll up it to 11% next year when I get a pay raise. Doing this on only 1 income, when wife graduates college and nails a job, I'll up mine big time.

Looking at a goal of $1 Million myself by retirement age. At least...

19. Default Re: Share Your TSP Balance and Your Age Thread

~38k, 100% L2050.

Have been contributing since Jan or Feb 2013. Roth TSP no match (military). Have tried maxing it out at 17,500 each year but I think the first year I think I was a little short due to processing times after changes are made (take effect only one month later).

Quote Originally Posted by Maricar19 View Post
    28.5 years, Between $370K-$400K
    Spouse is 20 Yrs., between $200-$230

Update from August 2014 post:
    As of 12/31/2014:
    29 yrs of service, $403k; spouse has 20.5 years of service and 244k
    Thanks to Intrepid and TSP Talk Plus/Sentiment
    Emotions should never play a role in one's investing strategy!
    No to Greed...No to Fear!
    http://share.robinhood.com/mariloc1

30.5 years of service in FERs. C, S and a little I pretty much the whole way using mainly a B & H strategy while contributing the max. Doing pretty well and hit my original goal about 6 mos ago. Bottom line, start early, contribute as much as you possibly can, be aggressive and don't look at your portfolio everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast