Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 LastLast

Thread: NSurf9 Account Talk

Default Re: NSurf9 Account Talk

Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    awesome news! i only hope this can happen, will the mechanism still be the same or will you be able to set stop loss / buy limit orders, etc?

I'm all for that and taking the transaction fees, hell, it would probably be profitable for blackrock as well.
    I cant think of ANY downside if this were to happen. Now, if they would only open an inverse fund as well, I would be the happiest TSP participant on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by twodaystocks View Post
    I cant think of ANY downside if this were to happen. Now, if they would only open an inverse fund as well, I would be the happiest TSP participant on earth.
    If you have read what I am about to try and do and like it - for now - just indicate a LIKE on this thread - it started with 31.

Inverse investments, Roth and a whole host of other investment alternatives open-up with a small change of the narrow, antiquated language of the 1986 FERS Act - so long as it can be considered a "retirement risk compatible" investment.

I don't know why Congress so narrowly crafted the Act's language, but so long as it stands, any investment in anything other than a mutual fund based investment with its prohibitive restrictions and costs will likely be held ultra-vires and outside the TSP counsel's power to approve. Inasmuch as the window to a mutual fund doesn't help anything, I don't know why the TSP Counsel even voted for the window option - but I'm glad they did - it made me understand that they are already on our side on this issue.

Congress, in its collective wisdow, inserted the window I believe to allow for future expansion of the TSP retirement system.

A simple change to Act's lanugage; ensure investment are retirement compatible; mimimize brokerage hounding of individual TSP members - and, I believe the next vote would successfully open the window to a tremendously improved TSP retirement fund to all federal employees who can enjoy and directly benefit - if they want it. And, as a bounus, the remaing main partcipants will get the proactive element out of their investment and enjoy even further reductions in their administrative and brokerage costs.

I'm not quite sure how, but I will most likely need eveyones' help on this. You, your collegues - everybody you know that has money in TSP.

Foutunately, Congress already provide the window. Congressman Lynch and other members of the oversight committee have stated they want option window to to be revisted and again put to a vote as an indication that they too want it. And key TSP players, including Executive Director Long and ETAC Chairperson Clifford Dailing likely voted (twic) for opening the window option.

This time, we will be pushing with the system that apparently wants to help us, instead of against them - for an alternative works.

NSurf9
    Last edited by nsurf9; 12-02-2012 at 08:24 PM.

freedom!

YouTube
    100g

I would like to see a NASDAQ fund, or tech-type fund, as well as commodities and/or precious metals. Is that getting to specific?

The only thing I don't like about the inverse funds is that its much easier to lose money on them. Your best chance to do well is in very short spurts, and you must really know what's going on, and be correct about it. That's because over the long run the markets move up and less time is spent losing value than gaining value. I say this because I've lost a few hundred $$ in the SDS before and I probably wouldn't use an inverse fund if one is offered. Instead, if I'm confident in a market tumble I'll use the F fund, hoping that the demand for bonds increases.

more freedom!

YouTube
    Last edited by burrocrat; 12-02-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    100g

more, more freedom!

YouTube
    100g

ok last time, more, more freedom!

YouTube
    100g

I want to be able to go SHORT, that would be so COOL!

DWCPF just peaked its nose above the last 3-day channel, then quickly disappeared.

I would have thought somebody would have picked up on the inherent problems with the option window opening to a mutual fund. But apparently, where they are not voting for something we don't want, they are insistent on researching on barking-up the wrong tree, as well.

Article comes from GovExec and dtd not long ago - Oct 2012.
    Thrift Savings Plan advisory board considers mutual funds - Pay & Benefits - GovExec.com

One of the comments at the end of that article mentioned he would like to have 5 free trades per month. If we could just get that I would be happy.

Your dear beloved John DOE will be undergoing a series of critical procedures today to save his life.

If there are children or sensitive persons in the room - - please ask them to leave the room.

Mr. DOE has a sever medical problem - his heart is not beating correctly nor pumping enough blood to sustain his body for much longer. Although he has lost a lot of weight and natural energy over the last four years - we have high hopes we can help him.

Doctors Bigben, Obuttma, and Bonner will be performing their long practiced specilized procedures.

Dr. Bigben will first administer the untwister QE4-ever adrenalin injection directly into the heart. And, doctors Obuttma and Bonner will administer the defribulation paddles - Dr. Obuttma will skillfully handle the right and, of course, Dr. Bonner will be the steadly handle on the left to provide the massive, repeated, electrical stimulus.

Prognosis: The likelyhood of success is unknown and Patient will not doubt need a lengthy recouperation time, intense rehab and likely come out of the operating room generally groggy, light in the wallet, sustain some burns, and be severly sore.

Please say your prayers now.
    Last edited by nsurf9; 12-12-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Please take note, I am still working the window option and close to distributing the letter to all concerned - Congressman, TSP, ETAC, Thomas Trabucco (sort of a founding father to TSP, now retired) and TSP Talk.

On the TSP mutual fund option: Suppose you carefully crafted the window option so that all funds going thru the window would first be converted into a G fund pool, then re-issued at G fund value to be thereafter, traded between and amongst each of the F, C, S and I shares as ETF equivalents - No IFT restrictions, no IFT deadlines with trades at $5-$7 per trade, low establishment costs, in new Traditional or Roth retirement TSP window accounts. The G fund special purchase treasury note shares would continue to be purchased as a safe-haven from the other side of the window. That's just just to get the window open.

That could be a "mutual fund" we could use implentation could start almost immediately.

In a mutual fund everyones' money goes into a pool, it's then invested by a broker, and you get a share. ETFs portfolios are already purchased and you buy a share (yea it takes a lot money to start one).

Thus, a carefully crafted mutual window could immediately be used instead of a TSP defined, self-directed window, which may require a House Bill language change. Moreover, this crafting would meet with the SEC definition of a "mutual fund."

Congress already created the window, just unlocked the latch of just one vote of the TSP Counsel voting members with "participating brokerages" and "the same low risk we already use", put some special defined curtains around it - and it would legally and easily moved into the opened position . . . with one little finger.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by nsurf9; 12-12-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 LastLast