Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Government Motors

Default Re: Government Motors

As to the "plenty of hyperbole" comment. I chose examples that benefited tremendously from government supported industries. As stated subsequently, there were private/government partnerships wherein the gov't absorbs the majority of the capital risk involved in a particular venture.

I must state here that I give credit to Ford who, pre-recession, saw the writing on the wall OR got just plain lucky, when it came to being a more nimble, adept, performer and restructuring it's debt early. Ford looked ahead and developed smaller, fuel-efficient platforms and hybrid drivetrains and stayed ahead of the curve. GM was a larger entity and lacked such foresight.

As a proponent of smaller fuel efficient cars I was singing the praises of Ford long ago, roughly 2006, when it liquidated significant real property to finance development of smaller efficient platforms. Those decisions, at the time, were the ire of many who saw the idea of turbocharged V6 truck, a mid-sized hybrid sedan, a mid-sized sedan w/ a good, efficient 4cyl engine or small commercial van as absolute foolishness. It's kind of funny how many people overlook exactly what was involved in that timely, smart business decision. If only GM and Chrysler had been so timely...we might have had a vibrant auto industry w/out gov't intervention. Ironically it was inability to look ahead and adapt to the changing market that put those companies at a disadvantage...and somehow we continue to decry the industry's efforts to adapt.
    2011: 12.73%; 2012: 16.44 %, 2013: 17.46%, 2014: 5.35 ; Past 12 months 6.81% as of 01/31/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Minnow View Post
    Well, your first quote came from Star Trek... frankly I don't want my tax dollars going where no man has gone before.

The second is from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest while Randle P. McMurphy was trying convince mental patients to change an insane mental ward policy/schedule.

So your quotes, while cute and most certainly clever, are more apropos to an individual defending my position.

By the way, if I haven't welcomed you to the message board, then "Welcome." And I sincerely respect the way you state your positions. Cudos to you.
    Thanks for the welcome, Minnow; and for the cudos. I don't want to take too much credit for my comment. After all, you pitched it; all I did was swing.

Quote Originally Posted by RealMoneyIssues View Post
    At some point, we too, will be looking for a bailout; I hope China's GDP has grown enough by then so that there is someone with the money to provide the bailout.
    Been there a long time already...Bonds. Interestingly enough other countries are so impressed with the relative stability of the good ole USA that they now give us their money without expecting ANY real return. It's an investment in stability rather than for profit. Those countries pursuing extreme austerity can NOT offer that kind of stability so they must pay higher interest rates in return for their higher risk.

Speaking of comparing apples and oranges. The US has autonomy with respect to it's currency. Countries of the European Union do not. The failures of the EU monetary system stem from a having a monetary union w/out a strong political union. IF Greece could devalue it's currency to enhance it's competitiveness the austerity would not be needed...instead, because of the Euro, Greece is limited to deflation and imposed austerity OR default and return to it's own currency, which would obviously be devalued. That is how they must "restart" their internal economy.

The US is a different story, and other countries are more than happy to give us money...money which we could be investing in our future and using to "restart" our own economy. Macro economics is a different animal from household budgets. If we wait to invest then yes, we may to resort to austerity...especially if the dynamic changes and other countries want more in return for their investments...via higher interest rates, but that's currently a choice not an imposition.
    2011: 12.73%; 2012: 16.44 %, 2013: 17.46%, 2014: 5.35 ; Past 12 months 6.81% as of 01/31/2015

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mapper View Post
    .... Ironically it was inability to look ahead and adapt to the changing market that put those companies at a disadvantage...and somehow we continue to decry the industry's efforts to adapt.
    Some folks like "Change", and some folks don't like "Change". They'd rather still be riding horses. That seems to be just how it is.

Anyway- back to the subject- those are some pretty nice new cars being cranked out by GM these days.

Love that Camero.
    22745177.jpg

Been there a long time already...Bonds. Interestingly enough other countries are so impressed with the relative stability of the good ole USA that they now give us their money without expecting ANY real return. It's an investment in stability rather than for profit. Those countries pursuing extreme austerity can NOT offer that kind of stability so they must pay higher interest rates in return for their higher risk.

Speaking of comparing apples and oranges. The US has autonomy with respect to it's currency. Countries of the European Union do not. The failures of the EU monetary system stem from a having a monetary union w/out a strong political union. IF Greece could devalue it's currency to enhance it's competitiveness the austerity would not be needed...instead, because of the Euro, Greece is limited to deflation and imposed austerity OR default and return to it's own currency, which would obviously be devalued. That is how they must "restart" their internal economy.

The US is a different story, and other countries are more than happy to give us money...money which we could be investing in our future and using to "restart" our own economy. Macro economics is a different animal from household budgets. If we wait to invest then yes, we may to resort to austerity...especially if the dynamic changes and other countries want more in return for their investments...via higher interest rates, but that's currently a choice not an imposition.
    Until they are not... What happens when we prove their faith unfounded?

Quote Originally Posted by FireWeatherMet View Post
    Not too much of that around anymore...from Oil Co tax subsidies, Wall St Investors being able to write off losses, farm subsidies Renter lanlord tax breaks, etc...
    All of which should be stopped... Now that everyone knows that the government will bail them out, they will take stupid chances and we, the taxpayer, will be doing the paying...
    Rules:
    - Trade what you see, not what you believe
    - Don't put stuff in your signature that a Mod doesn't like

"Government exists to protect all people’s rights, not some people’s feelings." - A. Barton Hinkle

Great Tools:
    http://www.CreditKarma.com
    http://www.Mint.com
    http://www.SaveUp.com/r/nmJ

Quote Originally Posted by James48843 View Post
    Some folks like "Change", and some folks don't like "Change". They'd rather still be riding horses. That seems to be just how it is.

Anyway- back to the subject- those are some pretty nice new cars being cranked out by GM these days.

Love that Camero.
    Yeah, I'd like banks and big business to stand on their own for a change. I'd like workers and potential workers to stop expecting a handout for a change. I'd like government to stay out of my wallet for a change. I'd like some forward thinking people to get elected to office and change the idiotic energy policy this country has for a change.

I'm obviously not who you were addressing because, I love progress. I dig my air conditioning. I love being able to travel anywhere in the world on a whim (or if I was rich I could). I appreciate having all the modern conveniences that I do. I respect the old ways of doing things but I can also respect a need to move forward in an intelligent way and in case you were wondering I've seen very little in that regard coming down the pike lately.

And for the sake of all that's holy Jim, you're from Michigan... it's spelled Camaro and only the Transformers movie maker thinks that racing yellow looks cool. That bada$$ car needs to be red, black or white with wide orange racing stripes. Jiminy Christmas!!!!
    Which one of you nuts has got any guts? -- Randle P. McMurphy
    ... stupidity will always find a way. -- Nnuut

Quote Originally Posted by James48843 View Post

Love that Camero.
    Yeah, I'd like banks and big business to stand on their own for a change. I'd like workers and potential workers to stop expecting a handout for a change. I'd like government to stay out of my wallet for a change. I'd like some forward thinking people to get elected to office and change the idiotic energy policy this country has for a change.

I'm obviously not who you were addressing because, I love progress. I dig my air conditioning. I love being able to travel anywhere in the world on a whim (or if I was rich I could). I appreciate having all the modern conveniences that I do. I respect the old ways of doing things but I can also respect a need to move forward in an intelligent way and in case you were wondering I've seen very little in that regard coming down the pike lately.

And for the sake of all that's holy Jim, you're from Michigan... it's spelled Camaro and only the Transformers movie maker thinks that racing yellow looks cool. That bada$$ car needs to be red, black or white with wide orange racing stripes. Jiminy Christmas!!!!
    Now THAT is change I can believe in...
    Rules:
    - Trade what you see, not what you believe
    - Don't put stuff in your signature that a Mod doesn't like

"Government exists to protect all people’s rights, not some people’s feelings." - A. Barton Hinkle

Great Tools:
    http://www.CreditKarma.com
    http://www.Mint.com
    http://www.SaveUp.com/r/nmJ

Actually, I like Bumblebee! Reminds me of my first car: 1972 Chevy Nova, yellow, with a black vinyl top. Wish I had that car now! I'm sure it's worth more than the $1500 I paid for it in 1986.
    God bless the United States of America!

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_La_Migra View Post
    Actually, I like Bumblebee! Reminds me of my first car: 1972 Chevy Nova, yellow, with a black vinyl top. Wish I had that car now! I'm sure it's worth more than the $1500 I paid for it in 1986.
    Sweet... big block? either way definitely more than $1500... did you sport it with a denim jacket and a mullet? (that's how I looked cool in my first car, too). Those were the days.
    Which one of you nuts has got any guts? -- Randle P. McMurphy
    ... stupidity will always find a way. -- Nnuut

Honestly I'm rather impressed with many of the Big 3s new models. Had an opportunity to rent and put almost 1000 miles on a Chrysler Town & Country, not something I was overtly excited about. I have to tell you though, that was one nice mini-van, it hauled 5 adults and a load of ski gear in very comfortable style. The, revamped for 2012, Charger, Durango and Grand Cherokee are all looking pretty sweet too

Back to GM.
    Speaking of a return to glory. Cadillac is putting out some really nice models and concepts. Having a brand people aspire to is important...the previous crop of Cadillacs were nice enough but hardly inspirational. I think GM is doing an excellent job of appropriately filling different market niches with it's different brands and models. As boring as the everyday mid-size family car niche is, I must say I'm looking forward to what Chevy brings out to update the Malibu. While the current model was a massive leap forward for Chevy it's no longer an example of what GM is capable. Take the new Buick Regal, for example, that's an extremely nice mid-sized sedan. I bet the Malibu replacement becomes a solid competitor. I haven't driven a Cruze yet, but the ones I see on the road have a look of quality and attention to detail that was not remotely present in the Cavaliers or the Cobalt.

Camaro seems to be selling reasonably well. I see a surprising number of them on the road.

Edit: And in a nod to a previous era. You just have to respect the Chevy crate motors, drop them in just about anything for extremely reliable performance.

Sweet... big block? either way definitely more than $1500... did you sport it with a denim jacket and a mullet? (that's how I looked cool in my first car, too). Those were the days.
    Letterman jacket and a white boy afro (I had REALLY curly hair back then). One of these days I'm going to run the license plate and try to buy it back, if it's not a pile of scrap in some junk yard.
    God bless the United States of America!

The, revamped for 2012, Charger, Durango and Grand Cherokee are all looking pretty sweet too
    The new Challenger is pretty hot too. I say it's about time they realized us old guys liked the look of the old cars, rather than making every vehicle look the same the way they do now.

Tom
    Market Commentary | My Blog | TSP Talk Plus | |

I am not a Registered Investment Advisor and this is not investment advice. Please do your own due diligence.

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast