Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Government Motors

Default Re: Government Motors

Quote Originally Posted by nnuut View Post
    Like I said, reminds me of a Time Bomb, TICK, TICK, TICK, BOOM!
    So every time you get a fender bender yoru car could blow up anytime, guess you would have to get the battery pack disassembled and inspected after every accident, no matter how severe?
    After Chevy installed the reinforcement in the center battery tunnel, NHTSA retested and the Volt successfully passed. These tests are very severe, so unless you crash like a NASCAR driver, I don't think I'd be too worried.

Yeppers!
    Better stick to keeping safe fuels/fluids like gas, oil and CNG in our cars. At least we know THOSE aren't flammable and it's perfectly safe to pump them into our engines at high PSIs all while starting the motors with lead acid batteries. Whew! I feel sooo much safer. Oh, wait a second?
    2011: 12.73%; 2012: 16.44 %, 2013: 17.46%, 2014: 5.35 ; Past 12 months 6.81% as of 01/31/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mapper View Post
    Yeppers!
    Better stick to keeping safe fuels/fluids like gas, oil and CNG in our cars. At least we know THOSE aren't flammable and it's perfectly safe to pump them into our engines at high PSIs all while starting the motors with lead acid batteries. Whew! I feel sooo much safer. Oh, wait a second?
    Of course you know that the Volt has a Gasoline Engine also.

Yes, I sure do; and I noticed we weren't discussing the safety of that...just the batteries.

So, what are we really worried about, safety or a challenge to the status quo?

We can speculate all we want but it will be years before we learn if there are any egregious engineering oversights that make the Volt unsafe. What we do know is that the Volt is engineered to the same occupancy protections standards as any other car and has performed as well or better at protecting occupants than most cars in it's class during crash tests. There will always be freak accidents but, at this point, to suggest the Volt has engineering defects rendering it any more unsafe to drive than any other car is baseless.
    2011: 12.73%; 2012: 16.44 %, 2013: 17.46%, 2014: 5.35 ; Past 12 months 6.81% as of 01/31/2015

Yeppers!
    Wow, you aren't being sarcastic at all.
    God bless the United States of America!

Anyone here ever have to fight a metal or alkaloid metal fire? If you have, then you know you do not fight these things the same way that you fight a conventional fire. So, exactly how confident do you feel that your local fire department has the equipment (an ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher will do in a pinch -- but you really need a Lithium X entinguisher) and the know how to actually fight the fire properly.

Now add on that cost to the public for providing the equipment to the local fire depts. plus the training in fighting those fires to the costs of the volts being on the road.

The risk may indeed be low but you can be darn sure that it will not escape the watchful eyes of the insurance industry and their risk assessment teams. Bank on it.

Still seems too high a price to pay for what amounts to a boondoggle with no proven results.

From inception to tires on the pavement, an economical gas engine or diesel seems both more economical, efficient and more environmentally friendly for those still on their green trip.
    Which one of you nuts has got any guts? -- Randle P. McMurphy
    ... stupidity will always find a way. -- Nnuut

Quote Originally Posted by Minnow View Post
    Anyone here ever have to fight a metal or alkaloid metal fire? If you have, then you know you do not fight these things the same way that you fight a conventional fire. So, exactly how confident do you feel that your local fire department has the equipment (an ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher will do in a pinch -- but you really need a Lithium X entinguisher) and the know how to actually fight the fire properly.

Now add on that cost to the public for providing the equipment to the local fire depts. plus the training in fighting those fires to the costs of the volts being on the road.

The risk may indeed be low but you can be darn sure that it will not escape the watchful eyes of the insurance industry and their risk assessment teams. Bank on it.

Still seems too high a price to pay for what amounts to a boondoggle with no proven results.

From inception to tires on the pavement, an economical gas engine or diesel seems both more economical, efficient and more environmentally friendly for those still on their green trip.
    Well, sometimes that's progress, you know, like "boldly go where no man has gone before," and "which one of you nuts has got any guts."

Quote Originally Posted by paydirt View Post
    Well, sometimes that's progress, you know, like "boldly go where no man has gone before," and "which one of you nuts has got any guts."
    Now that's the American Spirit!

Now that's the American Spirit!
    No, the American Spirit is doing it without Government support, true entrepreneur-ism...
    Rules:
    - Trade what you see, not what you believe
    - Don't put stuff in your signature that a Mod doesn't like

"Government exists to protect all people’s rights, not some people’s feelings." - A. Barton Hinkle

Great Tools:
    http://www.CreditKarma.com
    http://www.Mint.com
    http://www.SaveUp.com/r/nmJ

Quote Originally Posted by paydirt View Post
    Well, your first quote came from Star Trek... frankly I don't want my tax dollars going where no man has gone before.

The second is from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest while Randle P. McMurphy was trying convince mental patients to change an insane mental ward policy/schedule.

So your quotes, while cute and most certainly clever, are more apropos to an individual defending my position.

By the way, if I haven't welcomed you to the message board, then "Welcome." And I sincerely respect the way you state your positions. Cudos to you.
    Which one of you nuts has got any guts? -- Randle P. McMurphy
    ... stupidity will always find a way. -- Nnuut

Quote Originally Posted by RealMoneyIssues View Post
    No, the American Spirit is doing it without Government support, true entrepreneur-ism...
    Oh sure.

Well if that were the case we'd be sitting under candle light discussing horses and buggies...via pen and paper delivered by the Pony Express. Of course us folks in the West would probably not be here because the non-existent Federal Gov't wouldn't have bankrolled the land purchases/swaps/grabs or defended the pioneers OR promoted westward expansion during the era of the Homestead Act. Of course if you want to go down that road we could also discusses the technological advancements made by the government during WWII. No, nope, this government supported research & development is totally new

Oh sure.

Well if that were the case we'd be sitting under candle light discussing horses and buggies...via pen and paper delivered by the Pony Express. Of course us folks in the West would probably not be here because the non-existent Federal Gov't wouldn't have bankrolled the land purchases/swaps/grabs or defended the pioneers OR promoted westward expansion during the era of the Homestead Act. Of course if you want to go down that road we could also discusses the technological advancements made by the government during WWII. No, nope, this government supported research & development is totally new
    Yuppers, giving tax credits to consumers for buying products promoted by a government owned company is the way of the future... sad
    Rules:
    - Trade what you see, not what you believe
    - Don't put stuff in your signature that a Mod doesn't like

"Government exists to protect all people’s rights, not some people’s feelings." - A. Barton Hinkle

Great Tools:
    http://www.CreditKarma.com
    http://www.Mint.com
    http://www.SaveUp.com/r/nmJ

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast